Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cloth Cap Skull

Article about: Hey, guys! I have had my eye on the cloth cap skull that Sid posted in the Classified ads, and I think I'm ready to pick it up. I have great respect for Sid, and while I don't doubt the auth

Default Cloth Cap Skull

Hey, guys! I have had my eye on the cloth cap skull that Sid posted in the Classified ads, and I think I'm ready to pick it up. I have great respect for Sid, and while I don't doubt the authenticity of this skull at all, it is my habit to post any potential purchase on the forum for second opinions. Please take a look and let me know what you think (click the picture to enlarge it)!

Cloth Cap Skull

One thing I'm curious about is the orange/red thread that has been used on the backside of this piece. I have seen this before (such as the tan and yellow threads in the pictures below), and I know that a variety of colors were used, but I've never understood why the manufacturers used a non-black/white thread here. It just seems strange to me. Can anyone offer an explanation for why this was done? Thanks!

Cloth Cap Skull

Cloth Cap Skull

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cloth Cap Skull
    P
    Many

?

They most likely run out of colors that day, and used what they had. Or someone were under training and they used different thread to teach the apprentice the basics.

After all it will be invicible after the insignia were on a cap.

Close enough , TrondK...

These support threads are invariably in " wild " colours , and IMO no doubt leftover stock - light blue , toxic green , bright yellow - it seems no spool was thrown away .
    Please note that only specific types of TK insignia were made this way ( horizontal weave ) ..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cloth Cap Skull  
    Last edited by Winkelman; 06-26-2015 at 12:47 AM.

The horizontal grey thread in these needed a " return " anchor thread , that would not show on the front so it could be any colour , and would be cut ( and normally lost ) anyway .
    Versions like below would not need this ..
    Last edited by Winkelman; 06-26-2015 at 02:01 AM.

Interesting information, Winkelman! Thanks! Have you ever seen red/orange thread like this? I think it's particularly unique because on this skull, the 3 support threads are not all the same color -- it appears that one of them is white. Anyway, I think it's a beautiful, authentic example. Personally, I find this particular type to be the most aesthetically pleasing cloth skull variant.

The red/orange thread is the tripple support thread on both sides - these always seem to be wild colours , I'll go check my files for others .
    Top and bottom will also show a single light grey and a single black thread ( = from making the TK itself ) which continue to the top and bottom insignia .
    Last edited by Winkelman; 06-26-2015 at 02:00 AM.

This bookmark is my favourite example of how some early BeVo insignia needed extra guiding threads at the reverse sides , " anchors " around which a thread could double back to the front .
    At the same time , the front colour thread also needed to continue downwards , here black and white .
    The black thread needed a long way down ..

Quote by Winkelman View Post
    The red/orange thread is the tripple support thread on both sides - these can be wild colours , I'll go check my files for others .
    Yes, I was referring to the support threads. What I meant was that it's interesting that, on this skull, the three threads are not all the same color. Two of them are red/orange, and the third appears to be white. I think this is rather unique, as I have only seen support threads that are all the same color on these skulls.

Flatwire ( alu ) TK's are well-known for freaky threads on the reverse ;

Two yellow and one black combined , visible on the right ..

Three times red ( brown ? ) ..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast