Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Collar tab 87 ????

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, collar tab 87 is mentionned as an edelweiss "FS Innsbrück" in every catalogue that I own. Therefore, who exactly was wearing this collar tab with a numeral embroie

?

Default Collar tab 87 ????

Hello Gentlemen,
    collar tab 87 is mentionned as an edelweiss "FS Innsbrück" in every catalogue that I own. Therefore, who exactly was wearing this collar tab with a numeral embroieded.
    Thank you in advance.
    Notton
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Collar tab 87 ????   Collar tab 87 ????  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Collar tab 87 ????
    P
    Many

Default Re: Collar tab 87 ????

I don't know at what date the Edelweiß collar patch was authorized for the 87th Fuß-Standarte (perhaps one of the other members has access to that order), but prior to the special collar patch's authorization, the unit would have used the Arabic numeral collar patch. (The Standarte had been in existence since 1933.)

?

Thank you HPL2008!
    Notton

The earlliest cloth tag I have seen, on an edelweiss collar tab, was dated 1935, if I recall correctly. The Austrian SS was a banned orgazition, and there is little information available as to the wearing of the numeral or the edelweiss.

Bob Hritz

Notton,
    You raise an interesting question. Although the 87th regiment was raised prior to the banning of the SS in Austria, throughout the period from 1934 leading up to 1938 it is omitted from SS official lists and therefore theoretically had no insignia. After the Anschluss the following units were to wear the edelweiss according to an order issued in October, 1938:
    Staff of SS-Abschnitte XXXVI
    87. SS-Standarte
    The edelweiss sleeve diamond was to be worn by:
    76. SS-Standarte
    Special units of SS-Abschnitte XXXVI (pioneers etc.)
    The edelweiss collar patch was also worn from 1934 onwards by the SS-Sammelstelle organisation.
    Logic would suggest that the number patch was from the short period from March, (the Anschluss), to October of 1938.
    d'alquen

?

Great! Thank you I am very impressed!
    Cheers, Notton

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    Notton,
    You raise an interesting question. Although the 87th regiment was raised prior to the banning of the SS in Austria, throughout the period from 1934 leading up to 1938 it is omitted from SS official lists and therefore theoretically had no insignia. After the Anschluss the following units were to wear the edelweiss according to an order issued in October, 1938:
    Staff of SS-Abschnitte XXXVI
    87. SS-Standarte
    The edelweiss sleeve diamond was to be worn by:
    76. SS-Standarte
    Special units of SS-Abschnitte XXXVI (pioneers etc.)
    The edelweiss collar patch was also worn from 1934 onwards by the SS-Sammelstelle organisation.
    Logic would suggest that the number patch was from the short period from March, (the Anschluss), to October of 1938.
    d'alquen

You are most welcome.
    Interestingly before the banning of the Nazi party in 1934 the edelweiss collar patch had been awarded to the 37th SS foot regiment in Linz but they don't seem to get it back after the Anschluss as period photos show the numeral 37 being worn by its members.
    d'alquen

Thank you, d'alquen. I have 2 tunics with the edelweiss patch, probably from the 87th Regiment.

Bob Hritz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Collar tab 87 ????   Collar tab 87 ????  

I have a copy of the order to which Derek refers, but I cannot find it. It is contained in the on line scans of the SS Befehlsblaetter for 1938-9 put in hand by a Polish website. Thanks to colleague Hritz for sharing his very fine treasures.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    I have a copy of the order to which Derek refers, but I cannot find it. It is contained in the on line scans of the SS Befehlsblaetter for 1938-9 put in hand by a Polish website.
    Please allow me to add the link to that document on said online archive:
    http://www.dws-xip.pl/reich/biografie/1938B/80.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast