Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Could this be a WAFFEN-SS FINNISH VOLUNTEER'S SLEEVE SHIELD?

Article about: Hi guys, I just accuired this marvelous German WW2 photoalbum with pictures from the German soldiers service in Southern Finland (mostly Helsinki) in 1941. The album itself is a period Finni

Jan
    ?

Default Could this be a WAFFEN-SS FINNISH VOLUNTEER'S SLEEVE SHIELD?

Hi guys,

I just accuired this marvelous German WW2 photoalbum with pictures from the German soldiers service in Southern Finland (mostly Helsinki) in 1941. The album itself is a period Finnish one with nice makers markings on the last page. What strook me when I received the album today was the canvas emblem applied to the front cover. I didn´t think much of it at first but after seeing an identical emblem like this for sale on the "Collectors Guild" web page as a "WAFFEN-SS FINNISH VOLUNTEER'S SLEEVE SHIELD" I was wondering if this really could be an SS related insignia.

The Collector's Guild

Please settle the question for me, the album is valuable for my research by it´s own but I just started wondering.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Could this be a WAFFEN-SS FINNISH VOLUNTEER'S SLEEVE SHIELD?   Could this be a WAFFEN-SS FINNISH VOLUNTEER'S SLEEVE SHIELD?  

Could this be a WAFFEN-SS FINNISH VOLUNTEER'S SLEEVE SHIELD?   Could this be a WAFFEN-SS FINNISH VOLUNTEER'S SLEEVE SHIELD?  

Could this be a WAFFEN-SS FINNISH VOLUNTEER'S SLEEVE SHIELD?   Could this be a WAFFEN-SS FINNISH VOLUNTEER'S SLEEVE SHIELD?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Could this be a WAFFEN-SS FINNISH VOLUNTEER'S SLEEVE SHIELD?
    P
    Many

Jan
    ?

Sry guys forgot the cm scale!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Could this be a WAFFEN-SS FINNISH VOLUNTEER'S SLEEVE SHIELD?  

It is indeed a Finnish volunteer tab, I know this type and the black and white one.

?

Issued to members of the Finnish SS Btl attached to Wiking ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Jan
    ?

Really, I was a bit concerned with the left "furry paw".

Best, Jan

Jan
    ?

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Issued to members of the Finnish SS Btl attached to Wiking ?
    1941 is the only year the German soldier could have accuired this in Helsinki, I don´t know/understand how readily available these would have been available to German soldiers at that time period??

Best, Jan

Jan
    ?

Thank You guys, WW2 is full of mysteries. Maybe the Finnish seller of the album wanted to make it more desirable to a German soldier and added the Finnish SS related insigna to it.

Thanks again for Your help guys!!!

Best, Jan

Could be a SS shield or Could also be a lion badge taken off the 1920s Army arm band, its a trick thats being done at the moment , buy a Finnish army 1920s arm band remove the lion badge and sell it as a SS shield for more money, when this lion badge has been added to the cover I wouldn't like to say , Did you get it off German ebay as there was one that looked like it for sell on there a month or so ago ?

Jan
    ?

Yes it´s the same album. That´s also a possible explanation. Those armbands would have been readily available in 1941 but IMO the decals on those are a bit different in design from the one on the album cover (notice the much thinner outstretched left paw of the lion). Anyway a nice album.

Best, Jan
    Attached Images Attached Images Could this be a WAFFEN-SS FINNISH VOLUNTEER'S SLEEVE SHIELD? 

Its a hard one to know where the Lion came from but yes still a nice album and well done on getting it .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast