Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Dachau Sleeve Eagle

Article about: I've been looking at the different designs of sleeve eagles, and I had a question about one I came across... This is the style that I'm used to seeing: Based on what I've seen, that one is a

Default Dachau Sleeve Eagle

I've been looking at the different designs of sleeve eagles, and I had a question about one I came across... This is the style that I'm used to seeing:

Dachau Sleeve Eagle

Dachau Sleeve Eagle

Based on what I've seen, that one is a 100% authentic late war Dachau eagle.

Recently, however, I came across an eagle on German War Booty that I hadn't seen before. It is the variant with the "peaked" head, the different "fuller" upper wing sections, and the wider legs. I've seen it referred to as just another authentic variation of the Dachau eagle (SS EM Embroidered Sleeve Eagle for Review). However, I'm not used to seeing the "netting" under the stitches on the backside. Can anyone offer some insight on this one? Thanks!

Dachau Sleeve Eagle

Dachau Sleeve Eagle

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dachau Sleeve Eagle
    P
    Many

Hi Dave, this style is perfectly legitimate and original.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks, Ade! Your expert opinion is always appreciated. Any idea why the netting was incorporated?

It was there to reinforce the embroidery. If the base cloth was of a poorer quality this was often done.

It's use was not widespread in Third Reich cloth.

As a bit of additional info for interest only, it was used in the 1940's in the USA for "Patch King" reproduction US Army shoulder sleeve insignia.

On the subject of re-reinforcement under embroidery: if the material is a felt like paper which just follows the pattern of the embroidery, the item will be bad. This was a post war technical innovation and can be seen on some fake Third Reich insignia.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Useful information indeed! Thanks again, Ade!