Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Dad's Dachau Stuff

Article about: We recently re-discovered stuff that my Dad brought back from his 3 month stay at Dachau (he was 2nd Lt with the 100th Infantry), buried at the bottom of an old GI duffel bag, and stuffed in

No worries, a brown dagger sounds like possibly an SA dagger.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dad's Dachau Stuff
    P
    Many

This is probably right up there with that Early SS helmet that made Doug hit the floor, as far as people getting an unexpected lot of great news here! I am glad you have this stuff, as passed down to you. It is a fantastic ready made collection! I am glad you posted and asked about it rather than letting some vulture offer you 100 bucks for it all.

?

Quote by John P View Post
    Not that I know of Erno. Sorry. There are some metal things -- but they look US Army to me, and nothing evidently German or SS. I'll get to those later.
    Thanks for the response! These hoard finds are always very interesting, and they don't get much better than yours.

What a hoard.

?

Treasure trove or not, I'm getting signals from my better half that it's time to let go of the photos, posts and such for the day. If anyone has a desire to see something specific in more detail, let me know and I will tend to it on the weekend. My last questions for the day: Does selling duplicates or triplicates disproportionally reduce the value of the overall collection (several of you are indicating interest!)? How the heck would I set a price if I did choose to let some go? And finally, with the surprise of realizing how valuable this stuff is, how best to preserve and store it? I'm pretty sure that in a smelly musty duffle bag in a basement not immune to flooding is probably not the best place!

Many thanks to you all for your comments, enthusiasm, advice and general all-round nice manners. Pleasure to make your aquaintance.

Wow. I'm feeling a mixture of jealousy and general happiness for you! I'd love to have any piece of what you've shown.

I would recommend if you do sell the collection, that you select a few choice pieces to remember your dad by, and hopefully pass down and keep in the family. Generations to come will learn of WW2, and to have these items will be a symbol of the sacrifice and honor your family holds, and it always seems to me some of it (if it can't be all of it) should stay with the families they came from.

Thanks for posting them. I'm going back to being jealous now.

Hello John,
    Maybe if you told your other half of the value of the items that you are researching, she may have a different opinion.
    I would suggest that you decide which you have duplicate or triplicates of, post them for opinions and descriptions. Then you could do some research of Militaria dealers and find what prices are approximately. This will give you an idea of what you should ask for them. Do not expect to get dealer prices for the items that you are going to sell. In my opinion, the whole collection is worth no more than the individual items themselves.
    Most of us store our items in a humidity controlled environment. The basement is not the best place to keep them unless you live way up here.
    Hope this helps,
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

John-
    Unless you are in need of the funds, I would keep the collection intact, study and learn what the insignia mean historically. Very few of these Dachau troves remain intact and your father's grouping has great historical significance as it sits. I might suggest using Riker mounts to house the collection. They are a glass and cardboard case that was originally designed to house insect specimens. You can find them on line by using google or possibly Amazon. I would be happy to assist you with any other concerns either here on the Forum or by PM.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I just happen to be offering my left arm for an SS Feldgendarmerie Cuff-Title...
    cheers, Glenn

Guys-
    I know there is excitement over this group but let's keep the offers to buy and sell out of the thread as it is against forum rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast