Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Dad's Dachau Stuff

Article about: We recently re-discovered stuff that my Dad brought back from his 3 month stay at Dachau (he was 2nd Lt with the 100th Infantry), buried at the bottom of an old GI duffel bag, and stuffed in

?

Default Dad's Dachau Stuff

We recently re-discovered stuff that my Dad brought back from his 3 month stay at Dachau (he was 2nd Lt with the 100th Infantry), buried at the bottom of an old GI duffel bag, and stuffed into what looks like an SS map satchel. Attached are photos of the cloth insignia, including eagles, many cuff titles (a few with original tags) and other stuff. Not pictured is an SS dagger. Given that this stuff is almost certain to be original (I remember seeing it in the early 1960's), I'm not so much concerned about authenticity, even though I do know it's not impossible that it would be replica. What I'm really looking for is the considered wisdom of this forum on what to do with it. The stuff that was his - his old uniform, canteens, bags and badges is a no brainer for me -- we keep it and pass it down as treasured heirlooms to my kids. The SS stuff, on the other hand, is something more of a question: What is it worth? SHould it be kept as a collection, or sold individually? Is it likely to appreciate over time?

I would really appreciate any perspective you knowlegable people might pass on.

John P.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dad's Dachau Stuff   Dad's Dachau Stuff  

Dad's Dachau Stuff   Dad's Dachau Stuff  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dad's Dachau Stuff
    P
    Many

Hmmm...Not bad, not bad at all...
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

That's a pretty amazing collection he brought back!

Personally I would elect to keep it all together with your father's personal items. If you do choose to move on from it some others with far more knowledge than myself will be along shortly.

Assuming all are "good" keep one (or one pair if appropriate) of each. Sell the duplicates, individually for greater return. Highly collected and desirable. However like all original items, they will appreciate in value even further over time.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

WOW!!!

Dean O

Blimey ! Incredible !

Do you have pics of the SS map satchel aslo

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Yes. Here they are. Any idea of what all of this is worth? Even possible to guess?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dad's Dachau Stuff  

Looks great to me, value its hard to put a price on them, i reckon a donation to the WRF xmas raffle would see you gaining many friends .
    i think seriously i would keep it, the values will only increase.

It may take some time, but to get a real sense of what you have you need to take some more detailed photos...most people would be reluctant to put their good name to value items they havent confirmed as authentic...If you can take some better pics and get these items confirmed it would be of great benefit to you...As the acknowledgement of some of the very knowledgeable members here will enhance your collection from the fraudsters, of which with SS stuff there are many..Best of luck mate

?

I can certainly do that, but just to be clear: are you suggesting detailed photos of each and every piece? Individually? With back and fronts, in high resolution, and then posted here? Also, I'm wondering about the plain black tabs...does anyone know what they are? My first (assuredly ignorant) reflex was to consider them unadorned and perhaps of minimal worth? Oh, and what the heck would that little "W" thing be? I'm just curious, it's a band of some sort -- obviously too small for the wrist...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast