Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Danish SS items via David Delich

Article about: by helmetone The material that makes up the uniforms has the appearance of being very coarse in texture, is that the case? Yes, no, maybe?

?

Andreas i have been a complete dunderhead with this and was looking for some deep meaning rather than the obvious !!! It was the similarity of the design to that of Estonia but even though i know the history of the Danish occupation of Estonia during the medievel period and the history that goes with it i completely overlooked that , many thanks for doing the research i should have done !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Danish SS items via David Delich
    P
    Many

Very nice indeed.

Danish SS items via David DelichDanish SS items via David DelichDanish SS items via David DelichDanish SS items via David DelichDanish SS items via David DelichDanish SS items via David DelichDanish SS items via David DelichDanish SS items via David DelichDanish SS items via David DelichDanish SS items via David DelichDanish SS items via David DelichSome further items to interest you courtesy of David Delich. This thread has had high traffic, and shows the potential of this site for education and the display of interesting material without the collateral damage as seen and heard elsewhere.

David Delich responds to your observations thus.

"....First is the black version of the Schalburg
    Korp tunic, which basically a German black
    tunic with Schalburg insignia applied.
    Oh, a few viewers were wanting to know
    if some of the brown-colored tunics were made
    of a crude material, and the answer is yes.
    The same is true for the way some of the
    insignia was manufactured and applied.
    For example, look at the 2nd attachment to
    see that the collar patch piping on the unit tab
    does not follow the same twist as either the
    rank patch or the collar itself. They obviously
    weren't really that particular about such details.
    The third pic is that of a black Schalburg cap
    with the Schalburg winged badge.
    The fifth pic shows an unusual TAN patch
    of which I have no idea of its meaning. Why it
    should vary in background hue is unknown.
    The 6th pic shows yet more variants of the
    Schalburg national shield, as these are both with
    WOOL backgrounds.
    7th pic shows Schalburg man's cuff, ID card,
    Danish SA and party IDs, etc.
    The 8th pic shows very rare Freikorps collar
    patches (used only for a short time) and a very
    rare Freikorps cuff, of which only a few have
    surfaced in collections so far, two for certain,
    possibly three.
    This closeup of one of these patches reveals the
    unusual "swirl" machine embroidery used to
    construct this tab, and the obvious "inexpensive
    material" used in its manufacture.
    The balance of the photos show the obvious..."

I thank my senior mentor for his generosity with his picture files.
    Thanks to those of you who have made a constructive addition to this thread.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 08-10-2013 at 03:53 PM.

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    What is also interesting is what symbolism this particular shield with 3 lions thereon held for the Schalburg Korps , it is not a symbol i have readily identified with Denmark ( England and Estonia both have three lions in a shield as a national emblem ) so i wonder what the significance is ??
    Paul mate and other mates The shield is simply the Danish "Reich Shield" or "Weapons Shield". I don't know what it's called in English. Police, Army etc use this today as well. Not specific Schalburg Corpse". I hope this solved it for you. Here's a Wiki link: Danmarks rigsvåben - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopædi

This is an amazing collection of Danish SS & Freiwillige items. Some i have never seen before. A lot of them actually This is really rare items indeed. Thanks a lot to all involved enriching the forum with these finest of items.

All the best, Lars

Incredible collection

FB, out of curiousity, do you or your friend have any names or other clues of the original owners of these uniforms? Would be extremely interesting for all Danish collectors to know more.

Cheers, Mads

I am sorry to be unable to answer your question.

No problem FB, Just figured it was worth the try, as there weren't more than 35 different ustuf's in the Frikorps Danmark until it was dissolved in 43.

btw The first black uniform belonged to the inteligence agency of the Schalburg Corps which was called Efterretning Tjenesten. Hence the "ET"on the collar. Shortly after its introduction Gestapo infiltrated and took control of the ET branch even though it wasnt transfered to Gestapo officially until late in the war.

Cheers, Mads

Thanks for the enlightening further data. Were there not considerable reprisals against these persons when Denmark was liberated or otherwise freed of the Nazi yoke in 1945?

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Thanks for the enlightening further data. Were there not considerable reprisals against these persons when Denmark was liberated or otherwise freed of the Nazi yoke in 1945?
    Indeed there were reprisals. Many "Freikorps" and other volunteers went to prison or got shot after the war. The issue is/was that the Danish State, media encouraged people to sign up in the volunteer organizations. The King gave permission to soldiers and Officers to step out of rank and sign up in WSS". After the war a back dated law was signed and what at the time was legal was now illegal. This is the short version of course. There is also some controversy surrounding the Danish government at the time. Some are quite sure they were in on the invasion plans with the Germans, in return for not bombing Danish cities and towns etc. The Government was very fast indeed on cutting a deal with the occupation forces. All documents are of course still classified and kept a secret. Not long ago the expiration date for releasing these documents were prolonged.

Regards, Lars

Additional information of merit courtesy of Uniforms of the SS vol. 2 Germanische.

Danish SS items via David DelichDanish SS items via David DelichDanish SS items via David DelichDanish SS items via David DelichDanish SS items via David DelichDanish SS items via David Delich
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 08-11-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast