Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Delich treasures, baubles from the basement of the Fuehrerbau

Article about: As Bob Coleman will remind us, the U.S. side came into possession of the Fuehrerbau in Munich, where a GI found these things that are today the proud property of my mentor, David Delich. Thi

Delich treasures, baubles from the basement of the FuehrerbauDelich treasures, baubles from the basement of the FuehrerbauThe Fuehrerbau in a study of contrasts from the summer of 1938 and sometime in the fabulous '50s. The U.S. garrison stayed in Munich longer than did the Nazis, a fact I will leave others to ponder.
    The Amerika Haus is long gone, too.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 02-03-2014 at 04:55 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Delich treasures, baubles from the basement of the Fuehrerbau
    P
    Many

Between the two pictures Soldier O'Keefe visited here and got his swag, for which we are grateful.

?

Thank you F-B for sharing the photos from the magnificent Delich collection. Thanks also for the further photos and context.

I would also like to thank Mr. Delich for sharing from his extraordinary collection.

We are lucky such generous and qualified people share here.

Delich treasures, baubles from the basement of the Fuehrerbau

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    While certain U.S. Army civil affairs troops were devoted to the preservation of historical objects and works of art, especially those collections put in safety from the bombs and such, US soldiers, despite what George Clooney might believe, absconded with real historical art works and such in more than insignificant numbers. Looting, plunder, booty and war are all sides of the same thing.
    These items gotten by O'Keefe in 1945 had no value at the time, and the value we assign to them is wholly in retrospect.
    Latitudely, I present a kaleidoscopic image . . . where within, are a few more books, well worth a read - my favorite, being the Da Vinci one. Some of the artwork found in this "basement", resides once again in it's viennese home. Seemingly forgotten, the history of it's plunder is astoundingly interesting - and maybe the effort of Clooney and Edsel will help re-inspire this tale, and all the many more. The loot from the O'Keefe plunder is fascinating too - I wonder if there will one day be an effort by another Clooney or Edsel to bring this genre of stories into the mainstream? "Die amerikanisch Besetzung Deutschlands" would be marvelous on the silver screen, I think.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Delich treasures, baubles from the basement of the Fuehrerbau  

F-B,What did George Clooney have to say?Another Hollywood clown with a big mouth and nothing to say!

Quote by N.C. Wyeth View Post
    Latitudely, I present a kaleidoscopic image . . . where within, are a few more books, well worth a read - my favorite, being the Da Vinci one. Some of the artwork found in this "basement", resides once again in it's viennese home. Seemingly forgotten, the history of it's plunder is astoundingly interesting - and maybe the effort of Clooney and Edsel will help re-inspire this tale, and all the many more. The loot from the O'Keefe plunder is fascinating too - I wonder if there will one day be an effort by another Clooney or Edsel to bring this genre of stories into the mainstream? "Die amerikanisch Besetzung Deutschlands" would be marvelous on the silver screen, I think.
    Great books and that's why we have a forum like this otherwise very rare objects of the Reich would never see the light of day!

?

Thanks for sharing

A bit out, I always like to see the period pictures from LIFE magazine. Would be awesome if one day they put all their archives in one book...

Quote by Blaise View Post
    Thanks for sharing

A bit out, I always like to see the period pictures from LIFE magazine. Would be awesome if one day they put all their archives in one book...
    They have the photos on their site, which is a pretty good thing. I grew up with these images in the 1950s and 1960s. The Jaeger pictures helped to get me started in all of this.

Quote by goodbuys View Post
    F-B,What did George Clooney have to say?Another Hollywood clown with a big mouth and nothing to say!
    I do not know other than the trailer for the film, which struck me as totally absurd.

I have some experience of civil affairs in the U.S. Army, might I say in a circular way, and preservation of art treasure in wartime is also a theme with which I am familiar.

The other Clooney movie I saw about black market Germany was a horrendous farce.

If you want to see movies of said epoch, see the real ones, that is made during the war or immediately after the war. They are the real deal.

There is a famous film about U.S. Army civil affairs, A Bell for Adano, which is from the Italian campaign.

My colleague Wyeth has many fine titles at hand and the subject of Nazis and art is endlessly interesting.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    I do not know other than the trailer for the film, which struck me as totally absurd. The other Clooney movie I saw about black market Germany was a horrendous farce.
    I too have only seen the trailer for this film, but have long awaited some form of recognition for this tiny chapter in the grander scale of events during that time. Until now, very little attention has been dedicated to these very important deeds . . . and I for one am happy to see the topic breaking into the mainstream - regardless for how poor we may perceive it will be. The glass can be half empty, or it can be half full . . . and in this case, I think the amount of attention being raised on the topic, is well worth a nod for having received the glass alone. It was said elsewhere better, and I quote here:

I for one do not envy the modern filmmaker's task. He must create a commercially viable film that simultaneously satisfies multiple constituents. First and perhaps foremost, the film's financial backers must be assured - and that means that the storyline and the actors must have the widest possible appeal to a mass public that may or may not know very much about the events/timeframe depicted. And of course any film touching on events of WWII Germany requires careful navigation of politically correct waters. Ultimately, the modern filmmaker must compromise and make the best film possible rather than the perfect film that may be in his mind. I for one will look forward to seeing XXXXXXX, and will not worry myself overly much about elements that do not suit my worldview. I genuinely appreciate the efforts of those involved in the production.

No matter how poor it may be received, at least the Clooney movie will be making attempt, and taking a risk, to re-introduce the world [Yes - THE WORLD] to a very important chapter of history - one that seems to have become long lost and forgotten upon so many in this day and age.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast