Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

DLV Wings Worn on SS Ledermantel?

Article about: Looks that way to me:

Default DLV Wings Worn on SS Ledermantel?

Looks that way to me:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DLV Wings Worn on SS Ledermantel?  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DLV Wings Worn on SS Ledermantel?
    P
    Many

Default Re: DLV Wings Worn on SS Ledermantel?

Nice image. Thanks for posting. Buerckel was also entitled to SS uniform. SS uniforms of the first years were hardly uniform, one hardly needs to mention.

Looks that way to me as well. An unusual and interesting detail.

Nice image, looks like an early picture.

I guess if you have a driver who is also a flyer, it would certainly help you out on the campaign trail.

?

Didn't heydrich wear something similar??

Quote by AMTG View Post
    Didn't heydrich wear something similar??
    Not exactly, but I know what you mean.

Heydrich - who was a fully-qualified civilian- and military aviator and saw active WW2 service attached to the Luftwaffe - wore the Frontflug-Spange für Jagdverbände in Silber [= Front Flight Clasp for Fighter Formations in Silver].

His Luftwaffe service was rather undistinguished, though, starting out with a brief stint as a turret gunner in the Polish campaign in 1939.

For some four weeks in the spring of 1940, he then flew as a fighter pilot with the Luftwaffe's Jagdgeschwader 77 [Fighter Squadron 77] in Norway. On 13 May 1940, he overshot the runway; his Me109 plane somersaulted and was totalled, although Heydrich got out of the wreck with only minor injuries to his arm and returned to Berlin the following day.

He re-joined JG 77 for the Russian campaign in the summer of 1941. On 22 July 1941, his plane was hit and severely damaged by Soviet anti-aircraft fire. The engine failed, necessitating an emergency landing behind enemy lines. Heydrich was lucky once more and got picked up by a Wehrmacht combat patrol. (Whose commanding officer, amusingly, doubted his claims to his identity and suspected this downed pilot of having suffered a head injury.)

After this adventure, however, he was permanently "grounded" by a furious Himmler.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 06-06-2012 at 10:11 AM.