Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Dying SS Troops

Article about: Like Bob said, it is extremely difficult to judge anyone from this war; while we sit at our keyboards, in our safe surroundings, with a stomach full of food. It should not be our pleasure to

Pantothenic
    ?

Default Dying SS Troops

I am on a mission to identify the dying / near death SS troops in the attached footage. Can someone please tell me what unit these men are from and if you know anything about the massacre. The uniforms I can't identify. It appears they have been stripped of rank and insignia. Warning: extremely graphic. US Army Footage Film - May 8, 1945

Link is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE4wY-NniQQ

2. # ADS

Default Re: Dying SS Troops

Some troops seen marching alongside the vehicles and horse drawn field kitchens are POA (Russian Army of Liberation). The armshields can be seen on some uniforms.

Cheers, Ade.

Were these men beaten to death?
    Ben

I suspect so.

A scene that was repeated alongside many roads all across Europe in the spring of 1945.

Some of the film I recognised from the "Wolrd at War". The attractive girl who was no doubt raped and beaten stuck in my mind.

Cheers, Ade.

I have seen men shot in iraq, blown up also, but to be beaten to death like this is no way for any soldier to die, SS or otherwise. I suppose such was life and still is
    Ben

?

yep...very sad footage. It was the same everywhere all around Europe those days.

Did anyone notice the low quarter boots some of them were wearing as well as putees? I don't know postiively if this is a "dress rule" or not? but those to me indicate that some of those men were SS Gebirgejagers. Also, I noticed a mix of Army and LW personnel as well. Some still had on collartabs as well as specialty insignias.

Along these same lines, I discovered a site in Czech that dealt with a Waffen-SS unit surrendering in the town of Beloves. The site was in Czech, so I couldn't understand what actually happened, but it appeared some SS men surrendered to the townsfolk, and the remainder tried to leave on Hetzers, and were massacred by the Soviets. I only have these pics remaining. This one is the beginning of the exodus by the Hetzer element:
    Attached Images Attached Images Dying SS Troops 

Here another detachment is surrendering to the townsfolk:

These SS men are cutting off their insignia after having surrendered:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast