Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

early Allgemeine cavalry tab

Article about: I have just aquired this It was listed as SA am i correct in thinking it is ss. From info i have to hand it possibly is 8th standarten Paderborn west. I have had a hard time finding similar

Reiter-Standarte 8 is indeed Paderborn from Oberabschnitt West. At a later date the headquarters were moved elsewhere,
    but I cannot read what is handwritten to the address-list;
    Reiter-Standarte 10 is Arolsen-Waldeck from Oberabschnitt Fulda-Werra;
    Reiter-Standarte 13 is Heidelberg from Oberabschnitt Rhein;
    Reiter-Standarte 15 is München from Oberabschnitt Süd;
    Reiter-Standarte 17 is Regensburg from Oberabschnitt Main.
    Information from an adress-list from October 1, 1937. Maybe it serves/helps someone!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement early Allgemeine cavalry tab
    P
    Many

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    Reiter-Standarte 8 is indeed Paderborn from Oberabschnitt West. At a later date the headquarters were moved elsewhere,
    Information from an adress-list from October 1, 1937. Maybe it serves/helps someone!
    Thanks so much.

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    Thanks Wilhelm for confirming the info.A waf member has posted this tab he is unsure if it is SA or SS.I was under the impression all SA cavalry tabs had metal pennants.Could this be a variant or private purchase tab?.
    Cheers
    Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images early Allgemeine cavalry tab 

The last one shown with 17 must be SS, as the SA never had this type of
    crossed cavalry flags. Since about 1936 the flags anyway had to be from metal
    for the SA.

The image I include here is the SA flag type (image is taken from a 1934
    SA uniform-regulation). Further the SA practically Always had a smaller number
    before a slash, which the SS did not have (anyway not in the beginnings):

The type of flag-lances for the SS changed into a an SA look-a-like. My guess
    is about 1936 (possibly dÁlquen can confirm this).

Here is what is shown in volume 1 from Mollo: Allgemeine-SS

The last drawing is from the Mitteilungsblatt der Reichszeugmeisterei from
    Jun 9, 1934. No distinction was made for SA and SS. So, at one moment it started
    to be somewhat confusing.

Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 07-02-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks to Wim. What a pleasure to have such wise counsel and guidance. We owe him a great debt. Go buy all his books. And make your friends buy his books, too.

Thanks Wilhelm your help is very much appreciated
    Cheers
    Dave.

Wim,
    Two of Otto Fritzel's photo albums survived ( he was coincidentally the commander of the 8th standarte whose tab started this thread).
    Photos in those albums would suggest that all the tabs and diamonds were of the black and white pattern up to 1937 at which point the embroidery for all badges was changed to aluminium only.
    At the start (1934) it seems that many members wore the crossed lances on both their collar patch and sleeve. This was prohibited in August 1935 when the use of the sleeve diamond was reserved for members of the Sturmbann staff only.
    By June 1937 when the badges changed to aluminium the following members could wear the diamond:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture early Allgemeine cavalry tab  

early Allgemeine cavalry tabearly Allgemeine cavalry tabearly Allgemeine cavalry tabThank you. Your attachment pertains to the uniform in my collection, as well. The document also suggests the limits of the English language secondary literature, as well, truth be told.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 07-06-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    By June 1937 when the badges changed to aluminium the following members could wear the diamond:
    For the benefit of the non-German speaking members, the authorized personnel were:

• Enlisted men and officers of the Hauptabteilung I/R [Main Department I/R] in the SS-Hauptamt [SS Main Office] (Friedrich-Berthold's uniform nicely illustrates the full insignia worn by these men.)
    • Personnel in charge of equestrian matters serving with the staffs, unless they were simultaneously commanders of an equestrian unit
    • Enlisted men and officers of the SS-Hauptreitschule München [SS Main Riding School Munich]
    • Enlisted men and offciers of the SS-Reitschule Forst [SS Riding School Forst]
    • Equestrian offcers ranked Standartenführer or higher (i.e. the ranks who wore their rank insignia on both collar patches, necessitating the need for the sleeve diamond to "replace" the crossed lances on the right-hand collar patch)

Thank you, Andreas.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast