Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Early SS cap

Article about: On with Czernys auction, is it good?

Default Re: Early SS cap

Quote by colt45 View Post
    I like that old orange linnin lining, the stamp looks good to me.. I saw another with a VASSERXXX ? stamp " WATERPROOF?
    I hate to rain on the parade, but I think the stamp is fake, actually. I do not wish here to divulge exactly why, but I nonetheless do not think it to be real. The water proof cloth does look nice, but I now have my doubts about this impregnated cotton, too, in fact.

This stamp was also used in fake SS Kraetzchen, as well, which others can reflect on.

Wasserfest or Wasserdicht are the phrases for this fabric, in fact.

Real kepis are few and far between and tend to be beat up if one is lucky enough to find them. However, never say never....
    damit, basta.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    the stamp is fake,
    Real kepis are few and far between
    Friedrich You are spot on with your assumptions on this one. I know exactly where you are coming from, and I agree with you whole heartedly

However, like you say............... never say never.........

When you're wounded and left of Afghanistan's plains,
    An' the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Jest roll to your rifle an' blow out your brains,
    An' go to your Gawd like a soldier." - Rudyard Kipling

There are people here who know much more than I, and we would profit from their knowledge and illustrations.

I am also not aware of an authentic Verwaltungsamt SS stamp in this configuration. I do have images of what I know to be authentic stamps, as well as a pattern of same from an official regulation (courtesy Peter Jenkins) , but I will not post these here. It is very plain that the on line fora are a means to improve fakes, and such is not my calling.

I had an interesting correspondence with Mollo in 1972 about kepis. I am sure I still have the letters from him somewhere. There was a local faker hereabouts who made them, with small white RZM tags as found on insignia. I have never seen one of these fakes since that now far, distant time.
    damit, basta.

I concur with FB. Stamp and wasserdicht lining do not look authentic to my eye.

Not a good auction to buy in then judging from this item and the others i posted.

Sorry I like neither the kepi or the source. After many years out of the collecting circles, a number of years back, I purchased a number of well made fake items from the Czerny's and their Italian partner, all guaranteed to be original When I caught on, I sent back a gray SS officer's visor cap for refund, which had been offered to me outside their auction. 1-1/2 years later, I got the cap back without the refund they had promised. The Italian partner had sold me a fake gray SS uniform, which I quickly returned. From him, I only received an 80% refund. Shortly thereafter, they closed up their auction house in Italy. For a while, they parternered up with a coin dealer in Colorado, who was to be their U> S> rep. That did not last long as he evidently got flooded with phone calls looking for refunds.. Based on my experience with them, I would suggest great care in dealing with them or complete avoidance.

The VA stampis completely wrong.. I would not buy anything with the SS-VA and date stamp. Original VA date markings are illustrated in numerous references. I believe several have been shown in period M-34 SS overseas caps, on this forum.

I would be most cautious when dealing with firma Czerny.

Bob Hritz
    I am seeking Golden Party Badge # 77578, Luftwaffe blue summerweight flight pants, used Geschwader Immelmann officer's cuff title.

Authentic Verwaltungsamt SS stamps do appear in peaked caps, but in a different configuration than shown here. I have also not seen a stamp prior to 1936, either; but such a statement merely reveals my ignorance. By 1936, the kepi was nearly phased out, of course, though it remained on the RZM lists until 1938 or so.

Once more, our colleagues here own authentic kepis and their linings are usually different. Or an authentic piece looks like the Stezelberger piece I posted here, as well.

At the same time, one must say that the proverbial seldom seen and sharply at odds with convention kind of piece does show up and can well be real all the same. An authentic black kepi with a leather peak made by Kupper appeared recently, in fact.

Happy head wear.
    damit, basta.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12