Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

early SS cap oddity and or fraud

Article about: More comparisons as concerns the devil and the deep blue sea of fakes and their opposites.Attachment 198707Attachment 198710

Default early SS cap oddity and or fraud

This image appeared on another site. I rather think it is a blatant attempt to copy the piece on the Whamond site and shows how quickly the stimulus in the internet is transformed by the fakers into a workable product.

I do not think this piece is authentic, but would delight in the opinions of others...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture early SS cap oddity and or fraud   early SS cap oddity and or fraud  

early SS cap oddity and or fraud  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement early SS cap oddity and or fraud
    P
    Many

Default Re: early SS cap oddity

I think this piece was the prototype....an authentic piece. Of course, I might be utterly wrong about the first cap here, as fakes of the early cap surely exist. What do you think?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture early SS cap oddity and or fraud  

Dick
    ?

Default Re: early SS cap oddity and or fraud

I do not like it at all!

The first posted visor hat has that 'Soviet' look with the oversize top and lack of roundness that meets the crown band. I would have trouble accepting this hat. If this is an early hat that has had the addition of an incorrect wire stiffener, it might have to be looked at more closely. However, the overall shape is not what I would expect from an earlier hat.

Bob Hritz

Dick
    ?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    This image appeared on another site. I rather think it is a blatant attempt to copy the piece on the Whamond site and shows how quickly the stimulus in the internet is transformed by the fakers into a workable product.

I do not think this piece is authentic, but would delight in the opinions of others...
    This in my opinion, is the worst fake SS visor I have ever seen. Looks more like the shape found on Russian hats.

Dick
    ?

Default Re: early SS cap oddity

I think this piece was the prototype....an authentic piece. Of course, I might be utterly wrong about the first cap here, as fakes of the early cap surely exist. What do you think?

This hat I do like, nice proper proportions.

My first impression of this cap was that it resembled the shape of a Soviet cap. I note that I am not alone in this opinion. The inside is better than many at first glance. The shape is absolutely horrible.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Here is an authentic early cap with a plate shape and stiffener. This piece, however, is of later make than the first cap I posted which is still on the Whamond site, but lives with me and its foetid woolen kin.

The first cap, i.e. the fake, seems to have been reverse engineered from all our postings on the internet, especially its interior, which is close. But notice the plessier of the lining, which is done by someone other than a trained craftsman or likely craftswoman of the era.

Happy head wear.

How can sane people with responsibilities in the year 2009 care about folds in cloth from 1934?

Thanks to all for their wise posts.
    Attached Images Attached Images early SS cap oddity and or fraud 

Dick
    ?

Here is an authentic early cap with a plate shape and stiffener. This piece, however, is of later make than the first cap I posted which is still on the Whamond site, but lives with me and its foetid woolen kin.

The first cap, i.e. the fake, seems to have been reverse engineered from all our postings on the internet, especially its interior, which is close. But notice the plessier of the lining, which is done by someone other than a trained craftsman or likely craftswoman of the era.

Happy head wear.

How can sane people with responsibilities in the year 2009 care about folds in cloth from 1934?

Thanks to all for their wise posts.
    You just have to look around at what 2009 has brought, and you answered your own question, trying to KEEP your/our sanity like the rest of us.

Yes, indeed, but my hold on sanity is very tenuous at best.

Actually, I have a passionate interest in the crafts as they pertained to cap making, and to the people themselves, their world, their skills and what not.

I rather think that our interest makes far more sense than what many people do to pass the time, truth be told.

I cannot see the poetry in Facebook, actually.

In this vein, here is the interior of the cap posted above as regards pleats and silken textiles....
    Attached Images Attached Images early SS cap oddity and or fraud 

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast