Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Early SS Drillich ?

Article about: Hi, Here is the story, I picked up this Kriegsmarine drillich (http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/heer-l...illich-634682/) and posted here and on WAF. On WAF, I got a link to an interesting threa

Default Early SS Drillich ?

Hi,

Here is the story, I picked up this Kriegsmarine drillich (Kriegsmarine HBT Collarless fatigue / work drillich)
    and posted here and on WAF. On WAF, I got a link to an interesting thread (Early SS HBT drillich fatigue? - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums), which sparked my interest even more. Can anybody help me out on this one ?

Thanks in advance !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early SS Drillich ?
    P
    Many

Do let me say that the thread (not yours, mind you) on the other site is riddled with errors of analysis and fact which I do not wish to examine in detail, since such an effort always
    blows back.

In a case like this, you really have to apply a very skeptical assessment of what happened to these fatigue uniforms between 1933 and the year 2016.

In most cases, they likely turned to rags by the year 1940, if not sooner. Hence, the chance of finding a real cement grey drill fatigue from the SS Sonderkommando
    in Zossen, i.e. the embryonic Leibstandarte is less than likely.

Never say never, but such a thing would need provenance of a sound kind.

The level of ambition with many SS uniforms diverges totally from the reality of the thing and the brutal facts.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 04-27-2016 at 04:05 AM.

Mr. d'Alquen is the wizard of photo and document resources on the early years of SS uniform ca. 1933 until the outbreak of the war and beyond, and I am sure
    he has something more intelligent to say than I.

The uniforms I collect were those left behind, used infrequently, and which survived the culling out by a freak accident.

Other categories of uniforms were intended for hard use, and many younger collectors forget all too easily that textile rationing obtained more or less in Germany
    from 1939 until 1948. That is, there was a shortage of textiles until the FRG currency reform, nine years after the start of the war, to say nothing of the willingness
    with which surplus material was later destroyed wholesale.

- - ------- - -

I am also happy to be proven wrong with evidence of a sound sort.

Here are images of fatigue uniforms in use in the year 1954 as depicting the year 1939.

I am more convinced that Kriegsmarine surplus survived, since in my life I have seen a fair amount of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF2EJgaNYQY

Thank you for your wonderful replies and sorry for my late thank you.

I agree that the changes of my drillich being attached to SS are slim to none but found it interesting after reading the reply on WAF.

Quote by meyle77 View Post
    Thank you for your wonderful replies and sorry for my late thank you.

I agree that the changes of my drillich being attached to SS are slim to none but found it interesting after reading the reply on WAF.
    Thanks for yours. I am not sure my reply is wonderful, but I have collected black SS uniforms for a few decades as well as deepened myself in the history of the organization in more than an amateur fashion. My point was that certain other persons in other places made assertions and analysis that I do not find valid. Good luck in your collecting. May all your hopes for your regalia be fulfilled inexpensively and without on line rancor.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 04-29-2016 at 05:03 AM.