Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Embroidered SS Officer's Collar Tabs

Article about: While browsing through collar tabs online, I came across a number of machine embroidered officer's tabs. I'm much more familiar with the bullion style officer's collar tabs, so I'd like to l

Default Embroidered SS Officer's Collar Tabs

While browsing through collar tabs online, I came across a number of machine embroidered officer's tabs. I'm much more familiar with the bullion style officer's collar tabs, so I'd like to learn from the experts about this type of tab. I dug through the previous threads, but couldn't find much information about this particular style. The tabs look pretty good to me, but I've heard that the "rougher" weave cloth that is found on these tabs is often used in fakes. Please let me know what you think! Thanks!

Single Runic Tab:

Set #1:

Set #2:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Embroidered SS Officer's Collar Tabs
    P
    Many

?

No good IMO

Quote by Anzel View Post
    No good IMO
    Any details you would care to share?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

As mentioned above the weave looks rough, the embroidery looks incorrect, for starters. That is my opinion. Not the style embroidery I've seen. Ralph, I'm getting the feeling you have a different one...

Anzel, I think this style of embroidered collar tab has been discussed previously on this forum, and the terms "machine embroidered" and "late war" were used to describe them. Here's the link:

SS Officer "flat-wire" collar-tabs - when were they first used?

For what it's worth, here's another tab that appears to have been made in the exact same style:

For all I know, these could all be legitimate tabs or a big batch of fakes. They certainly all look very similar (right down to the white stitches on the backside), and most of them are in great condition. That could be good or bad... I'd love to hear more from the experts!

Quote by Anzel View Post
    As mentioned above the weave looks rough, the embroidery looks incorrect, for starters. That is my opinion. Not the style embroidery I've seen. Ralph, I'm getting the feeling you have a different one...
    Not really as I do not really study these. I was just curious as to why you felt they were not good. I know that one set of these are for sale on WAF e-stand and usually if they are not good, they get discussed.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

The above tabs are fine and are indeed late war machine emdroidered collar tabs.

I would suggest that if you want to study insignia that you buy the book "insignia & Arifacts of the Waffen SS" by Mark Bando (and the late M Beaver) as it covers most types of insignia that you are likely to encounter and as most of these are backed up by the fact that they have been directly obtained from U.S. veterans'
    The photography in the book is great and gives enough detail to differentiate between the various types of insignia used whilst the text provides info on unit histories etc.

Thanks, Bochmann. I'm glad my first instincts were correct with regard to these pieces. I've been doing some more research since I created this thread, and I've found a few pictures of this type of tab on a uniform. The wide variety of tab styles used throughout the years is certainly very interesting.

The Bando/Beaver book is actually already at the top of my list of books to get. FB recommended it to me a week or two ago, and it looks great!

Quote by Bochmann View Post
    The above tabs are fine and are indeed late war machine emdroidered collar tabs.

I would suggest that if you want to study insignia that you buy the book "insignia & Arifacts of the Waffen SS" by Mark Bando (and the late M Beaver) as it covers most types of insignia that you are likely to encounter and as most of these are backed up by the fact that they have been directly obtained from U.S. veterans'
    The photography in the book is great and gives enough detail to differentiate between the various types of insignia used whilst the text provides info on unit histories etc.

I associate myself with the above.

?

The bottom set looked fine to me. The top set was where I derived my opinion. Didn't notice there were two different sets. Late nights and little sleep to blame. The wire work looked sloppy to me but more knowledgable SS collectors stepped in to clear the air. Good luck on acquiring some treasures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast