Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Flick und Putzstunde in the Waffen SS: puzzles for the decades that lie ahead

Article about: This SS man smiles while he works with needle and thread, knowing that decades hence, in a new century, his handicraft will generate dozens of crazed posts by those here who can only poorly

Default Re: Flick und Putzstunde in the Waffen SS: puzzles for the decades that lie ahead

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    A most interesting image....

Sure enough, the Prinz Eugen division used the Odalrune symbol, but on their collar patches. During his time as the divisional commander, Artur Phleps also wore an oval sleeve patch with the Odalrune symbol.
    (I vaguely remember having read somewhere that initially all Prinz Eugen officers ranked Standartenführer or higher - i.e. those who wore their rank insignia on both collar patches - were to wear this insigne, but that this was never implemented and thus remained unique to Phleps.)
    SS-Standartenführer Stefan Hedrich shown wearing the oval insignia mentioned ( from the same astonishing site ) .

( 7 June 1943 - Gacko , Bosnia and Herzegovina - Yugoslavia ) .

Sitting to his right I think is SS-Oberführer Dr. Kurt-Peter Müller wearing it also , which makes for 3 of these in a row .. !

Notice the position compared to the Raute of previous pictures ..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flick und Putzstunde in the Waffen SS: puzzles for the decades that lie ahead  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flick und Putzstunde in the Waffen SS: puzzles for the decades that lie ahead
    P
    Many

Default Re: Flick und Putzstunde in the Waffen SS: puzzles for the decades that lie ahead

The insignia as worn by Artur Phleps himself - all 3 appear to have silver cord around them ..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flick und Putzstunde in the Waffen SS: puzzles for the decades that lie ahead  

A good thing my colleagues do such fine picture research.

Many thanks to Winkelman for pointing out these photographs; I hadn't spotted them. Something new to be learned every day!

?

Indeed it certainly looks as though the policy of wearing the odal rune on the sleeve for Senior ranks was followed at least by some !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I am bumping this excellent thread with cute puppy pics

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    This SS man smiles while he works with needle and thread, Attachment 541556 knowing that decades hence, in a new century, his handicraft will generate dozens of crazed posts by those here who can only poorly decipher the meaning of this image.

- - Updated - -

If he is looking in on this from Vahalla, will likely thinks that we are all very nuts.
    Still valid generalizations almost a year later.

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    I am bumping this excellent thread with cute puppy pics

Nick
    Oddly enough, the pup on the right looks like an English Springer Spaniel...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3