Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

good book on SS cloth insignia?

Article about: The Angola and Mollo books are musts. I enjoy the Beaver series but feel it is more of a coffeetable book than a heavy reference. Nevertheless get them. I'd like to hear more about the insig

?

Default good book on SS cloth insignia?

I am on the look for a good reference book, possibly with colour pictures, of SS cloth insignias (eagles, TK, tabs,sport patches and so on). Besides the expensive and elusive Angolia's book, is there any other good book you'd suggest me to buy? I see there are plenty out there but I have to buy the books without checking them first so I need some good advices. Thank you!
    Regards

Matt

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement good book on SS cloth insignia?
    P
    Many

Default Re: good book on SS cloth insignia?

you should look for J.ANGOLIA, he has a nice book with SS cloth insignia
    Attached Images Attached Images good book on SS cloth insignia? 

?

Thanks Carlsson, I was asking besides that one
    Regards

Matt

Ok I overlooked it

?

no problem, I have that on on the way, but I was wondering if there is something else worthwile out there
    Regards

Matt

Apart from Angolia's work, the other classic must-have standard reference on SS uniforms and insignia is Andrew Mollo's 7-volume "Uniforms of the SS" series. It does, however, not have any color photographs - they are all black & white - and the vast majority of the insignia are depicted as (fine, detailed) drawings; thus, it might not be what you are looking for.

Robin Lumsden's "A Collector's Guide to: The Allgemeine SS" and "A Collector's Guide to: The Waffen-SS" are also useful, attractive references.

On the subject of cuffbands specifically, you could get the two-volume "Collecting Third Reich SS & Political Cuffbands" from Ulric of England. It does include SA and NSDAP cuffbands, too, but about 90 % of its contents is about the SS.
    "German Military Cuffbands 1874 - Present" by Gordon Williamson & Thomas McGuirl also has more than 130 pages (out of a total of 352) about Waffen-SS cuffbands. Again, the photographs in both works are black & white.

The three volume-series on Waffen-SS uniforms by the late Michael Beaver and its two follow-up works on SS helmets and SS headgear (completed, respectively, by Kelly Hicks and William Shea) are also highly recommended, beautiful works with excellent quality full-color photographs of the items supplemented by a vast number of period black & white (and sometimes color) photographs.
    Their actual focus, though, is not on insignia, so the badges and insignia seen in these books are affixed to the uniforms or depicted in the period photographs, so you will obviously not find any views of the insignia's reverse side etc. Also, these books are quite expensive, too. (But worth their price.) A separate work on insignia was also planned for this series and will, apparently, be done by William Shea, but unfortunately not on the scale and depth that was originally intended.

I do not recommend Rolf Michaelis' "Die Uniformspezifischen Abzeichen der Waffen-SS". Its price and presentation are very attractive and the insignia are depicted in full color and supplemented by good period photographs, but it contains many replica items and a lot of computer-"enhanced" images. (For example, a Brigadeführer's shoulder board is also used to illustrate the three higher-ranking General Officer boards, by digitally adding the appropriate number of rank pips to it.) This book would be nice as a handy reference for a novice photo collector who wants to quickly identify the rank of a person in a photograph, or perhaps for a movie costume department worker; it is not useful for a collector.

Hope this helps.

Robin Lumsden's "A Collector's Guide to: The Allgemeine SS" and "A Collector's Guide to: The Waffen-SS" are also useful, attractive references.
    Those little books are more a basic to the subject.

I agree with HLP2008 about the Mollo, Beaver, Williamson, Ulrich of England, and Lumsden tomes. You cannot successfully collect SS material without having studied originals. Next best to 'hands-on' examination are clear illustrations of originals.

Sadly, many people are failures at collecting because they were raised in the 'instant gratification' era and demand that everyone else must do their work for them, or that they must be provided a risk-free, profit-guaranteed hobby. Since no human endeavour is risk-free and guarantees a profit, these are the collectors who fall by the wayside or collect the jetsom and flotsam that floats upon the sea of collectibles.

Bob Hritz

?

Thank you guys, I'll start looking for some of those books to pair with the Angolia's.

Bob, I share your thoughts.
    Regards

Matt

You cannot successfully collect SS material without having studied originals. Next best to 'hands-on' examination are clear illustrations of originals.
    It can't be more right!
    But we always try to help. People show almost the same fake's every week, without making researches first.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast