Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Greatcoat

Article about: Think this is a winner

Default Greatcoat

Think this is a winner GreatcoatGreatcoatGreatcoatGreatcoatGreatcoatGreatcoatGreatcoatGreatcoatGreatcoatGreatcoatGreatcoatGreatcoatGreatcoat

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Greatcoat
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Greatcoat

beautiful mantel, kris.

but what's with all the VERY non-reg rear buttons? special officer custom job? looks like the tailor was severely color-blind and thought he was making a KM coat!
    hard to imagine any officer besides a general being allowed to wear this.

prototype maybe? can you show the maker label? any sign of an eagle or is it unworn? anyhow thanks for showing.

Quote by vady View Post
    beautiful mantel, kris.

but what's with all the VERY non-reg rear buttons? special officer custom job? looks like the tailor was severely color-blind and thought he was making a KM coat!
    hard to imagine any officer besides a general being allowed to wear this.

prototype maybe? can you show the maker label? any sign of an eagle or is it unworn? anyhow thanks for showing.
    It is a beauty and does conform to the 39-40 years to a tee, would imagine private purchase and to someone with means to buy it. Sent it out to the boys and they like it. As we often find out reg's were not always strictly adhered to, I think this one is within the regs if what I am reading is correct. Its SS all the way.

Best,

Kris

Kris,

I like the pictures of the mantel that you have posted but disagree with it being SS just because of the half belt.
    I have never seen a coat with 6 buttons together with added flaps to the back as this makes it look more like the reverse of the army waffenrock tunic and it could therefore be an early (pre war) version of an army coat.
    This is just speculation on my part but the construction makes it less likely to be SS (for me) but I wish you luck.

Quote by Bochmann View Post
    Kris,

I like the pictures of the mantel that you have posted but disagree with it being SS just because of the half belt.
    I have never seen a coat with 6 buttons together with added flaps to the back as this makes it look more like the reverse of the army waffenrock tunic and it could therefore be an early (pre war) version of an army coat.
    This is just speculation on my part but the construction makes it less likely to be SS (for me) but I wish you luck.
    Bochman,

This SS cloth can be a bit of a hassle, I ran it past a couple guys and seems to be a wartime piece and is custom tailored. I also took a crash course on one of the WAF coat threads and the half belt is not really bothering me personally. Hard to say sometimes but its a beautiful coat anyway and seem to conform from what I can tell to regulations.

Best,

Kris

It is surely an early greatcoat. I am not familiar wwith the 'waffenrock' type of back, but the button on backstrap is normally a sign of the earlier Waffen-SS and VT/TV gray greatcoats. Surely, this rare coat is worth much further research.

BobHritz

Hi Bob,

Appreciate the comments, I cannot explain the type of backing and in reading some of the arguments made on another forum I could speculate a bit. Seems to me that the full sized belt may have been a problem in the field, if this was meant for the field. The quality is beyond anything I have seen and I was thinking that the style does appear to be a carry over from an earlier time, but so were many of the rank and file. This coat would not be for an average guy so he would no doubt carry rank in my mind and may have very well have carried over this style. I guess from what I have gathered this could have been for Allgemeine and not meant for the field, I just cant imagine wearing it in the field and probably more appropriate for an officer who handles paper and high end taste in coats. Difficult to research as there is no tailor label or name but the dam thing has a sheen and looks like a pearl gray. Its really a kick ass coat and I guess some could take issue with the rear style of belt, I think my easiest response to that would be the quality of the coat itself. Not sure what to make of it but I like it a lot.

Best,

Kris

Hi Kris, it is certainly a very nice item.

Any evidence of collar tabs or sleeve eagle? Without that, I would say it has to be Heer.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Kris, it is certainly a very nice item.

Any evidence of collar tabs or sleeve eagle? Without that, I would say it has to be Heer.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade,

There is none that I can find, there is no evidence that the coat was ever worn best I can tell.

If I am reading the regulations correctly this coat could be worn with or without insignia, possibly just boards. The cut is correct but that does not help all that much unless it had the standard length SS belt configuration.

Keep in mind as well that the underside color on the collar is the SS VT wool stipulated for use with the SS and unique to the SS to my knowledge.

Best,

Kris
    Last edited by K.Lindblom; 08-20-2011 at 04:37 PM.

There is another possibility:a special waffenrock for Grossdeutschland was instituted thatresembled an imperial rock. It is not impossible that this greatcoat could have been specially designed to match the GD waffenrock. That the coat never had shoulder boards makes this a distinct possibility.

Whatever it is, it is surely a rare coat.

Bob hritz