Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Grey SS caps, in this case authentic

Article about: Two grey caps as one seldom finds them...

Default Re: Grey SS caps, in this case authentic

At one time, I had a few others - I will try to post some more pics if I can find them . . .

Abd I have MANY pics of others that were at one time publicly posted elsewhere, but from caps that did not belong to me - would it be impolite to post these here without permission? I only ask as I no longer can recall all of the previous owners, and it would be a task to track them down to ask for such permission . . .

Brad

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grey SS caps, in this case authentic
    P
    Many

Nice Mr Brad, didn't knew you had this piece. is it still in your collection?

Quote by N.C. Wyeth View Post
    I guess I can help some (and I need to get my 15 posts in as well!) . . .

Brad

Quote by N.C. Wyeth View Post
    At one time, I had a few others - I will try to post some more pics if I can find them . . .

Abd I have MANY pics of others that were at one time publicly posted elsewhere, but from caps that did not belong to me - would it be impolite to post these here without permission? I only ask as I no longer can recall all of the previous owners, and it would be a task to track them down to ask for such permission . . .

Brad
    Thanks for yours. Thank you for your attention to etiquette. I must confess that I have downloaded many images and have more freely reposted them than is appropriate, I am sure. I am all in favor of discretion, surely. But I am confident that I have violated same.

Perhaps our moderators can enlighten us on their policy in this regard?

Brave new world of the internet....

another Exponat..this is one is similar to the one in the gallery Hritz.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grey SS caps, in this case authentic  

The cap badges in detail.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grey SS caps, in this case authentic  

Here is the ex Mollo Boehmer cap. This is the Loch Ness monster of these things, a cap with colored piping.

Perhaps one can simply make a cross reference to the threads in which our colleagues proclaim that this species of cap did not exist at all.

My eyes have dried into prunes reading such declarations and surely the latter clogs the bandwidth to the detriment of civilization.

However, I think this piece has stood the test of time.

It was made by August Mueller in Muenchen, which was a king pin of the SS cap making guild.

As if to add insult to injury to the group think that pollutes other sites, here is the famous Riefkogel cap, which I think was found in central Germany by one of our very own colleagues here....

I have never examined either the Boehmer or the Riefkogel caps, but I did snag the images because they looked very interesting to me.

To be sure, the bulk of grey caps one sees on offer with colored piping are wholly fake, but this fact should not preclude the possibility that once and a while (a great while...) one might appear like some vision....

This is my 800th post!

As a contrast to the grey, one sees the black.

As Himmer said: the way one reacts to our uniform depends on one's conscience. Mine is troubled because I have broken the taboo on colored pipings...

As an addendum, real grey caps are rare overall. They do have the detriment, though, of being often times sort of flimsy, cheapo thingies, and often in rough shape. Army caps for extra wear are often more nicely made, if one cares about such a thing. But in forty three years of collecting, I have not seen many authentic grey caps at all, to say nothing of those with the phantom colored piping.

I did examine this cap (post 9) above from the San Fernando Valley of California and then of the UK, it was a well made cap, likely from the period in 1941 when such things could then be made by a wider population of hatters.
    Attached Images Attached Images Grey SS caps, in this case authentic 
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 08-09-2008 at 12:13 AM.

Another cap in a leading western US collection...
    Attached Images Attached Images Grey SS caps, in this case authentic 

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast