Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Headwear destroyed by contemporaries

Article about: Here is an image from my fine colleague David Bunde of some historical merit. It will make you collectors of steel helmets very sad. The date and place of this event is lost in the reaches o

Default Headwear destroyed by contemporaries

Here is an image from my fine colleague David Bunde of some historical merit.

It will make you collectors of steel helmets very sad. The date and place of this event is lost in the reaches of time. Perhaps some of you know the image or can identify the officer in question and whether the helmet in his hand was damaged by an accident on the firing table or was purposefully conducted as a ballistic test of SSTV headwear. Who knows?

Whatever the true story of this intriguing image, one less SS helmet existed at the moment this picture was taken to gladden the hearts of collectors seventy years hence.

Happy headwear
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Headwear destroyed by contemporaries  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Headwear destroyed by contemporaries
    P
    Many

Default Re: Headwear destroyed by contemporaries

Awesome picture mate , looks like there could be people walking in the distance , could indicate a battle field , so perhaps this guy has just picked it up , nice thought , thanks for shareing , cheers Raymond

I do not think is a battlefield, but a ca 1937-8 or so training area for the SS likely in Bavaria....you name it, or even such places known to us as Hohenfels or Wildflecken? Present in the images are SSTV as well as SSVT "D" . Notice the officer's field caps in wear, as well as the earlier model of steel helmet and Schiffchen with the early Hoheitszeichen. There are those of you more at home with this kind of grey uniform than I and who are also in the know as to what training areas these units might have used.

One of these caps with the cloth peak turned up in Europe, too, which is a remarkable thing.

Thanks to David Bunde for these remarkable images. He is an exceptional collector of very valuable images for the SS Uniformkunde enthusiast.

One notices that the Untersturmfuehrer with the Degen has a cap with a very low crown.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Headwear destroyed by contemporaries  

They are great pics , cheers Raymond

Awesome pics. Thanks.

Apropos not treating one's 12 or 15 thousand dollar helmet as a collectible, here is an amusing image of what must be the staff of the Junkerschule Toelz ca. 1935/6. This posture cannot have been comfortable for one's po po, even that of an SS man, nor especially beneficial for the helmet.

But in the year 1935 or 6, these men had other things on their mind. When you think about all pictured here, it is a pretty silly pose.

If it were I, I would sit in the Mercedes Benz, actually.

Someone may better be able to decipher the personalities and place, but I think it must be some Biwak somewhere, even in Nuremberg.

This photo is courtesy of the great and good David Bunde.

Excellent image. By the way, the cavalry units sleeve diamond worn by the officer on the far left is not something one would expect to see on the uniform of a member of the Junkerschule's personnel.

I am sure someone more familiar with the staff of the Junkerschule in what I think is 1935 can determine the identity of the man with the Reiterei Raute.

?

I would say the helmet in the hand is a lighweight helmet in a M16 shape, probably one of the commercial made helmets. The helmet looks like a fragmentation damage, and probably an accident in the training area
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Dear Dimas, I think you are right. Here is another image from what must have been the firing range in this series.

Once more, this image is from the Bunde treasure archive, and we thank him for his generosity in sharing it with us. The sight of just one of these uniforms is enough to cause considerable excitement. I assume these images are from the period when the SSTV underwent intensified regular military training, ca. 1938, but maybe earlier?

In this I rely on the data in Mollo and Sydnor as well as Wegner.

The images from these private albums of pre-war SSTV and SSVT people are really quite astonishing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast