Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help identifying items

Article about: Hello, I am not a collector, but I recently inherited this small collection from my great uncle. I am curious what some of these things are and was hoping someone might be able to tell me mo

Default Help identifying items

Hello,

I am not a collector, but I recently inherited this small collection from my great uncle. I am curious what some of these things are and was hoping someone might be able to tell me more about them.

I am particularly curious about the shoulder board(?) with the skull pin on it. The pin has M1/52 on the back. Also, the two patches. I can't seem to find much about them.

Any input is much appreciated!

Help identifying itemsHelp identifying itemsHelp identifying itemsHelp identifying itemsHelp identifying itemsHelp identifying items

These are the other items he gave me. I think I've mostly figured out what they are.

Help identifying itemsHelp identifying itemsHelp identifying itemsHelp identifying itemsHelp identifying itemsHelp identifying itemsHelp identifying items

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help identifying items
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    The item attached to the skull is a shoulder board and has nothing to do with the skull. The skull would go with the eagle and they would be the insignia for an SS visor.
    The two rectangular items are collar tabs. I believe the green item with the straps is an eye patch and the small cup with it is likely for rinsing the eye out.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum. All these items (except for the last) are SS related.

We have some of the best people in the hobby who should be by shortly to help you out. They should be able to confirm authenticity and I'm sure show you examples. Typically we ask that people post each item separately.

The "skull" is a TotenKopf" and would go on a visor hat. (Further down is the "adler" (Eagle) that also went on the visor peak). Do not bend the prongs as they might break, but if you could slide it off and take a photo of the rear the guys should be able to help identify the maker.

Look here in post #6 for wonderful examples....

SS black visor

The "patches" are collar tabs. The first square "patch" is an Edelweiss for the SS-Abschnitt 36 - Innsbruck, the second being for the rank of Oberführer (I think between a Colonel and General).

The arm band is SS. As well as the buckle (by an unknown maker).

I do not know what the last item is.

As said, others with more knowledge will be around to confirm or correct what I said.

A quick reference (besides the wonderful examples we have here) guide

SS Collar Tab & Shoulder Board Identification Gallery
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

The armband looks odd to me, cotton roundel on what appears to be a wool band and the ribbing is not quite stitched very well..
    The buckle has some strange traits..822/38 is a Richard Sieper & Sohn RZM # / allocation IMHO
    The eagle 475/39 is considered a Ferdinand Wagner produced item and lacks detail..
    I hope other members can chime in when possible.. Remember these are only my first glance comments not and to be taken as verbatim or otherwise.. Welcome..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identifying items   Help identifying items  

Help identifying items  
    Last edited by Gwar; 03-27-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Quote by MAP View Post
    The "patches" are collar tabs. The first square "patch" is an Edelweiss for the SS-Abschnitt 36 - Innsbruck
    Authorized by an order of 20 Dec. 1932, the Edelweiß collar patch was originally worn by the 37th Standarte.

Following the failed coup of 1934, the Austrian SS was prohibited and went underground.

After the Austrian annexation of 1938, the Edelweiß collar patch was given to the 87th Standarte and the staff of Abschnitt XXXVI (both headquartered in Innsbruck).

That's a very strange looking armband. The white disc is not ovalled and is crudely cut out and stitched on-as is the swastika, the ribbing is crooked.....it's almost like it's a home made thing. Is it period? Questionable. The aluminum buckle is RZM numbered 822/38 which is for the firm of C.T. Dicke and looks good. The Wagner eagle is abit beat up, but looks fine. The rest of the pieces also look okey. All in all, you have several thousand dollars worth of small souvenirs.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I have edited my first post.. But....C.T.D was 257 I thought.. 822 was Richard Sieper & Sohn
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

#822 has been debated vigorously for quite a number of years. Our own Life Member David North and Jean Pierre Redeuilh discussed this well over a decade ago on the WAF site. Jean Pierre was firm in his presented evidence that it was Not Dicke, and it likely was not. The last I heard, it still had not been definitively laid to rest as to who the 822 RZM number belonged to. But, regardless as to who the mysterious RZM number did belong to, the buckle is a fine original and has substantial value!

I found the discussion still on WAF and here is the link to it if you'd like to read through it. It's quite interesting, for sure! Opinions on Aluminiun SS buckle please... - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

I did notice just now that Ben Evans lists 822 as Richard Seiper of Ludenscheid. Perhaps the mystery has finally been solved afterall! (It shows you how diligently I keep up with new discoveries! lol)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks so much for all the information! I think I will post these separately, as suggested. That will make it easier to discuss these in more detail and I will get some more better pictures of the items.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Diane6237 View Post
    Thanks so much for all the information! I think I will post these separately, as suggested. That will make it easier to discuss these in more detail and I will get some more better pictures of the items.
    Thanks. You should get better feedback as well when posted separately.

Forum navigation can be tricky but some of these items need to go into separate sections. When you click on the SS Uniforms and insignia forum, at the top you will see a few sub forums (noteble for you the buckles and SS metal Cap insignia forums)

If you need help, we can direct you further.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast