Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Help identifying SS uniform

Article about: by yarmouth Thank you all for your wonderful help! Very fascinating history indeed! Thanks, and, if you examine the contemporary sources, the SS people were confused by the same system at th

Quote by yarmouth View Post
    Thank you all for your wonderful help! Very fascinating history indeed!
    Thanks, and, if you examine the contemporary sources, the SS people were confused by the same system at the time.
    This fact is the most revealing and significant.
    The SS existed for a brief time in the past, was changing constantly, and was disorganized, just as much of the Nazi state.
    The pictures of people in neat rows are misleading.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help identifying SS uniform
    P
    Many

Help identifying SS uniformHelp identifying SS uniformHelp identifying SS uniformIn this connection, do look at the back of the ranks lists for the SS and see the growth of personnel in the years 1932 through 1939. This is S E V EN years of the some twenty that the SS more or less existed, and personnel hardly stayed in one unit for the duration. In fact, the whole thing was a kind of mobilization, wherein the badges and buttons were seized of rapid change, too.

The circumstances in which one did not wear a cuff title do interest me, and they are not as well interpreted in the secondary sources to say nothing of the primary sources.

However, there were many examples of persons without cuff titles.

The more you read Mollo and look at the material we have here, the more you will know. The more I have learned the more I disregard Angolia, by contrast.

Without a foundation in Mollo's work, many rely on the hodge podge of websites, but they are hardly enough.

There is a German work of more recent vintage which is noteworthy, and I will cite it, too, but it has its own contradictions, as well
    as some significant research, not always as well cited. Mollo laid open the core sources, without which we would all be in the dark.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 04-29-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Wow. If only pictures could talk! The stories they would tell!

Happy collecting. And curiosity always forms the best reaction to the riddles and puzzles.

Mollo is a great resource! Found out the cap he is wearing is a 1932 model. Here is another photo I just acquired and it looks like the same style cap:

The chances are that the photograph starting the thread shows a member of the Austrian Legion. This was the largest group of SS men who wore a blank collar tab with early piping and without a cuff title. They were battalion size and located at the Dachau training camp. Here is an image of a member from this period.
    I think that if the man was attached to an SS staff it is likely he would have a cuffband.
    d'Alquen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identifying SS uniform  

Great pic d'alquen! Thanks!!!

We have included an excellent work on the Austrian SS by a promising young historian of great merit.

A typical menacing face of a Thug...which this photo has to be the best representation. My Regards to you " d`alquen for sharing this photo. Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identifying SS uniform  
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    A typical menacing face of a Thug...which this photo has to be the best representation. My Regards to you " d`alquen for sharing this photo. Larry
    The dude looks hungover to me lol...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast