Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)

Article about: Moving on, I'd like to talk about the fabric of the cap cover. I have no doubt about it's authenticity, it's the really horrible quality wool made with wood pulp and god knows what else in t

?

Default Re: Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)

Actualy, now that I look at more closely, Derek's Officers cap and the NCO cap exhibit the same weave piping but they're actualy very different from the basket weave on the other items.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)   Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)
    P
    Many

?

And yet entirely different to the spiral weave.

I don't think anyone has studied this in detail yet. It's all been categorised under one heading so far...."rayon piping"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)  

?

It's disappointing that no one else seems interesting in this subject. You have to learn about the materials used during the period and rayon weave fabrics were one of the corner stones of the German Uniform Industry. I bet hardly anyone knows where that rayon industry was based either?!

One of those caps is that of Sayle F, and, as I noted, I owned one SS officer's cap with rayon piping.

?

I think the German synthetic textiles industry was centered in Heinsberg, yes? What you say here is quite true, one must study details concerning the weave of the textiles to truly be able to separate a reproduction from a genuine period item. I have used this to some effect on purchasing tunics and visors. I was burned once and looking back, the answers were staring me in the face...if I had only studied the materials and methods of construction better much heartache could have beed averted. Beyond that, it does help to put all of this into context regarding German use of synthetics to meet demands during times of raw material shortage, wartime needs, and technological advances. Thank you Ben for always taking things deeper than just the surface of fake vs. real. This is for me, after all, an exercise in the study of life in a turbulent time filled with leaps forward in human progress and incredible backslides in human decency.

CMH

Synthetic fibers were an outstanding aspect of the German chemical industry of note, as part of the second industrial revolution.

Something about the cap troubles me as well, Ben . . . maybe it's the wool and synthetic piping combo [although, truth be told, I am partial to gabardine in SS caps] . . . maybe it's the two variations of piping on the same cap . . . maybe it's just like you said - a piping too obscure for an SS cap . . . and maybe it's something else entirely. Whatever it is, I know something doesn't feel right . . . and when it comes to these kind of decisions for me, I usually have to rely on that "gut-feeling" one get's . . . and so far, I can't say this one rests well with me . . . but who knows . . . maybe in person it would be different?

As for the "rayon" piping, and piping in general on SS caps, here are some further tidbits and clippings [one photo from a cap of which I know you will recognize!] I have saved over the years - maybe they will help someone make an additional connection for you?

Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)

Very nice images of Mr. Wyeth's caps. Very handsome. The SS insignia with rayon piping has been a constant of my experience over forty five odd years.

A fascinating insight into a little studied aspect of German militaria. Thank you for helping with another skill in the art of TR authentication.

?

Quote by N.C. Wyeth View Post
    [SIZE=3] Whatever it is, I know something doesn't feel right . . . and when it comes to these kind of decisions for me, I usually have to rely on that "gut-feeling" one get's ?
    I understand where you're coming from 100%. It doesn't "feel" right to me either.

Thank you gentlemen for your input in regards to the piping. BTW, the KZ visor I used own and pictured above had wool piping, not rayon. Just goes to show that it's quite difficult to identify different materials from looking at photos.

I asked Richard P to comment about rayon fabrics as I know he has much experience with period fabrics and has spent a lot of time studying the topic. Didn't get a reply yet and I just hope he is feeling ok and my thoughts are with him.

In regards to my comment about rayon industry locations. I was referring to Łódź in Poland. Surely not the only location of synthetic material manufacture but an important and interesting one because of it's historical background as a textile manufacturing city and then also obviously because of the Ghetto and the hundreds of workshops within it all producing clothing for the Reich. I have no positive proof as yet but there's a strong connection between clothing manufactured in Łódź and the generic makers mark often found in hats, i.e. "Deutsche Wertarbeit" which brings us full circle to this handsome all wool SS cap that Richtie posted awhile back. I'd really like to see more of this cap because I think it may also have rayon piping..

Some might question the theory of marking a product "Deutsche Wertarbeit" when it was actualy made by Jewish hands in a Ghetto? Well, I have found one solid piece of evidence: 'Hosenknoepfe Steinnussimitation | Imperial War Museums
    If you notice the ink stencil design, the oak leaves are prominent. These would also have huge conscious and subconscious meaning within Germany, much of which I don't understand yet and maybe never will.

We all are or should be aware that deception was a fundemental part of the TR era so I don't find it particularly surprising that Jewish made garments were packaged with such statements of "German Quality". More surprising is the fact that "Deutsche Wertarbeit" continued to be used in marketing items well into the 1950's.
    If I've understood what I've read correctly, the older generation could still remember and associate the term Deutsche Wertarbeit with the pre TR era and this is very important, not just a mark of quality but also a sense of German pride and work ethos which had huge meaning to the working classes. However. to the younger generation, it must have seemed like a reminder to Germany's past which they desperately wanted to disassociate themselves from. As a consequence, the Deutsche Wertarbeit tag line was abandoned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)   Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)  

Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)  

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast