Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help a newbie out?

Article about: First of all I'd like to say "Hi" to all the users here. I've been looking around the forum for a couple of days now and to my un-trained eye it seems the most level headed and kno

Sid
    ?

Default Help a newbie out?

First of all I'd like to say "Hi" to all the users here. I've been looking around the forum for a couple of days now and to my un-trained eye it seems the most level headed and knowledgable of the few I've been looking at.

I'm not too sure of the ettiquette for first posters so please forgive me if I'm making a faux-pas here by asking for some help in identifying a couple of pieces?

So a wee bit of history - I picked up a few bits in a London fair about 25 years ago and they've been tucked away in a drawer pretty much ever since.
    As I've got older (ahem) I've got more interested in militaria and would like to find out a bit more about these pieces.

I've found out this is called a Klim shield. There a only stubs on the back where there used to mounting points, and obviously it's been "holed" at some point.

This apparently is about the battle of Worringen, but other than that I've been able to find very little about it.

What I'd think of as a collar flash. I'm afraid I don't know the correct term.

And most interesting to me, an eagle breast badge(?).

If anyone could give me any more information about them I'd be most grateful. I've no idea as to their value, if any, or even if they're genuine items. Any best guesses either way welcome!

I look forward to your response and I hope it gives you something vaguely interesting to look at!

Thanks,
    Sid.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help a newbie out?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help a newbie out?

It's a bit of a pitty that you have the same name as me, people could be confused.

Welcome to the forum, i'm sure there are plenty of people here who can help you. None of these things are in my particular area of knowledge, but I might as well make a start. The first is a Krim shield, awarded to members of the German Wehrmacht who took part in fighting in the Crimea, 1941-1942. It is worn on the arm, and is missing its backing cloth. I cant say if its genuine. The second looks like a 'tinnie' a cheaply made third Reich commemorative badge of the 1930's, and probably genuine. Then there is a litzen (collar tab) which I suspect id for a Nazi political uniform, probably genuine. And finally a military breast eagle, possible for a coastal artillery tunic? I dont know if this is genuine.

Others will tell you more.

This is the SS forum here, but all what I see looks ok BUT the breasteagle, I got some issues about that one.

Not sure on the other items, but the breast eagle is a post war copy in my opinion.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Sid
    ?

Thanks for the answers so far.
    Could I ask what looks wrong about the eagle? Is it something in the detail and construction or is it simplt too clean looking? I must admit it does look quite different to some I've seen on here.
    Sorry for all the questions!

Oh - and my apologies for posting in the wrong section. This was the last thing I was looking at before registering and I think I just carried on where I left off!
    Admin/mods, please move it if necessary.

?

Might i suggest that you post each item in it's relevant section and await responses , unfortunately nothing here relates to the SS so they are all in the wrong place !!

Welcome and regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Completely different to any original period versions I have seen, the fabrics used, the shape of the eagle, the colour of the green backing fabric and its shiny nature, the poorly defined feet and the way they grasp the wreath around the swastika. Hopefully that is enough for you. Can you show the reverse please as the construction details are only visible on the back, though if is sewn to a piece of fabric, as it looks to be, these details will not show.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Sid
    ?

Thanks for that Jerry - much appreciated. I'll take a shot of the back and post it up (this time I'll try putting it in the right section......!).

And thanks all for the replies.

?

Front and back straight on shots on the Krim shield and Litzen as well
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast