Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Help! SS Uniform Identification.

Article about: I'v had trouble identifying the uniforms in these pictures. All I know is that they are Waffen-SS (Austria) and the photos were taken between 1936-45 (likely around 1939-1940 but I'm not 100

?

Default Help! SS Uniform Identification.

I'v had trouble identifying the uniforms in these pictures.
    All I know is that they are Waffen-SS (Austria) and the photos were taken between 1936-45 (likely around 1939-1940 but I'm not 100% sure)
    I have no idea of the division or rank of any of them men in either photos is but I would really like to find out.
    Apologies for the quality of the photos.
    Any information at all would be really really helpful.
    Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help! SS Uniform Identification.   Help! SS Uniform Identification.  

Help! SS Uniform Identification.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help! SS Uniform Identification.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help! SS Uniform Identification.

The uniformed man on the far left in the first photo indeed appears to be with the Waffen-SS, but unfortunately, the photo is too grainy to provide much additional information. (No distinctive unit insignia are identifiable.) It looks as if there is/are rank chevron(s) on his left upper arm mostly obscured by the baby, in which case his rank would be either Sturmmann or Rottenführer.

The man near the center of that group with his arms on the shoulders of the ladies flanking him (also seen on the right in the second photograph) is a soldier of the Heer (Army); his rank - as indicated by the single chevron on his left sleeve - is Gefreiter.
    The ribbon in his buttonhole is for a wartime decoration, either for the Iron Cross 2nd Class [Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse] or War Merit Cross 2nd Class [Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse]. (The photo is too dark to tell with certainty.)

The man on the far right in the first photo and on the left in the second one is an official of the Deutsche Reichsbahn [German National Railways]. His shoulderboards are not clear enough to make out his "rank".
    His insignia are of the 1937 pattern. Entirely different collar patches - indicating "rank" groups - were introduced in 1941. This would additionally support the 1939-1940 timeframe, but be aware that it is not positive evidence. (The Reichsbahn went through numerous changes of insignia and, due to the various wear-out periods, the sheer size of the organization and the wartime supply difficulties never came close to achieve full uniformity of the badges and insignia worn by its personnel.)
    Last edited by HPL2008; 08-08-2011 at 04:37 PM.