Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Himmler and his satraps in fur

Article about: a photo from elsewhere, the date of which and place elude me.

Default Himmler and his satraps in fur

a photo from elsewhere, the date of which and place elude me. Himmler and his satraps in fur

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Himmler and his satraps in fur
    P
    Many

Not seen that image before. Thanks!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Not seen that image before. Thanks!
    Nor had I, and since this sort of thing interests me, I share it here with our circle. It is via the Axis History site, which has many nice photos of merit.

Something about the Germans and this kind of garment. I kind of doubt an Englishman of the period would have wore a coat like this.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

A fur lined coat might connote to today's reader some sort of prissy luxury, or a divergence from the masculine ideal. To the rough and ready political soldiers of the epoch, such finery was typical of garments worn for the outdoor life, for the eastern front, as well as the constant night rides in open touring Mercedes from one winter time political brawl to the next. Such fashion was also typical of the landed nobility in central and eastern Europe, with its very cold winters, which today are not as cold.
    And pelts, furs, etc. were a more normal part of clothing, headwear and even upholstery generally.

I've been trying to find another photo of Himmler wearing this fur-collared coat, so far no luck...
    There's a sign on the pillar where the Bell-Boy is standing...this might help in identifying the location...
    cheers, Glenn

thanks F-B.

?

Fascinating photo, for sure.

I wonder if this coat is mentioned in period documentation as it doesn't seem to be strict to Himmler, as the men next to him are wearing the same with the brassard.

?

A photo I had saved a while back. Maybe it could be of interest.

?

An interesting thing, although not entirely related, is the taking of furs from the ghettos.

I had to look it up again as I forgot the details, but some photos of furs taken from people in the Lodz ghetto.

And the furs being offered for sale in Germany.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast