Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How to spot fake Skulls and Eagles

Article about: Could someone please give a good guide like Mr. Stevenson on how to spot fake SS metal insignia on hats? The eagles and skulls. I've never dealt with the such but a guide would be very usefu

Default How to spot fake Skulls and Eagles

Could someone please give a good guide like Mr. Stevenson on how to spot fake SS metal insignia on hats? The eagles and skulls.

I've never dealt with the such but a guide would be very useful to incoming collectors like myself.

Let's put together a guide on how to spot the fake eagles and skulls of the SS. And, more importantly, to identify the originals.

Oh crap, how do I move this to the more specific metal insignia forum?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to spot fake Skulls and Eagles
    P
    Many

This request has been fulfilled before today's post of yours. https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ss-me...nsignia-forum/ The knowledge is located in some 627 threads with how many posts and many illustrations.

- - ------- - -

Good luck.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 06-29-2014 at 04:24 AM.

?

You should set up an album of originals on you phone. You will find lots of examples on the forums. You can set up another one with fakes. The sticky threads are also very useful . I have done lots of side by side comparisons at shows.

On this theme.

Is it fake?

An unending story, to be sure.

The Telesmanich website is also useful, with its clear illustrations and its archive of sold items. Very useful.

http://www.germanwarbooty.com/Archives.htm

Instead of a ton of examples I wish someone would say "watch out for thick pins" or "this is how you tell if it's a cast fake"

Advice like that.

Thanks.

Quote by Luftwaffe Hauptmann View Post
    Instead of a ton of examples I wish someone would say "watch out for thick pins" or "this is how you tell if it's a cast fake"

Advice like that.

Thanks.

You are free to do as you wish, but those in the know here, who are anything other than beginners, have wrestled with these tricky old metal scraps for a very long time. Their experience is contained in these 627 threads with many illustrations and much analysis.

At the risk of being blunt, if you seek either cheap, easy SS regalia, or short cuts in the knowledge necessary to collect such regalia, then you have a real problem.

I asked one personage who knows this material, and was a moderator here to offer a guide, which he had done on another site about fifteen years ago in the dawn of this stuff. His early work was swallowed by a computer. He never accepted my invitation. You can find lists of things all day long on these sites, but you should not assign much credence to them.
    No one else has ever assumed the challenge of a glossary of cap thingies.
    I have hundreds and indeed thousands of images of what I believe to be authentic SS cap insignia, but I do not really know very much and the unknown unknowns are more strategic than many know. I have stored some
    twelve thousand images of SS regalia acquired in a decade and more of looking here. Some of the hundreds I have included in eleven thousand posts on this site manifest my interest and time spent with this material.
    My final comment is this: there is as much unknown about these things as is known about them.
    The fakes are growing fast because of just these very sites, and the images of real items, which lead to reverse engineering of new fakes.
    These items have been faked for decades.

OR advice like this..... Photos speak more in volumes..then what words can say. I am finding your inquiry hard to understand..have you read through or even looked at any of the threads. ( Be careful the ice is thin where you are walking ) ............... so instead a ton of examples...also included are a ton of "Watch out for" through out this forum..thanks for the advice..this website and SS forum..are self reliant...and built on decades of experience. The WRF is not about to replace what has came from the past in research and replace it with Modern day..this is how fakes are created.

I would encourage more reading and studying. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

How to spot fake Skulls and EaglesHow to spot fake Skulls and EaglesHow to spot fake Skulls and Eagles..and I would say this. I own many SS caps. I read the many posts about the insignia, and the savants also make statements which I then try to find in the examples I own, and I cannot see the things that How to spot fake Skulls and EaglesHow to spot fake Skulls and EaglesHow to spot fake Skulls and EaglesHow to spot fake Skulls and EaglesHow to spot fake Skulls and EaglesHow to spot fake Skulls and Eaglesthey claim to exist on the cap badges.
    This cognitive dissonance between dream and its opposite has made me more than skeptical.
    There are endless variations in these things, which often get stylized into something odd.

For instance, I own several caps with the 1927-1929 eagle. Not one is identical to the other. That is, each one is different in some detail.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast