Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting SS uniform-insignia combination (period picture)

Article about: I came upon this interesting picture while surfing on the net... Never saw this picture and the combination of numbered tabs (49) on the grey uniform. The guy in the middle wears a blank cuf

?

Default Interesting SS uniform-insignia combination (period picture)

I came upon this interesting picture while surfing on the net...
    Never saw this picture and the combination of numbered tabs (49) on the grey uniform.
    The guy in the middle wears a blank cufftitle as well.
    I guess that the picture must be taken rather early in a transitionperiod from black to grey uniform.
    Or maybe for fieldduty...?
    Notice the early SA? style of cap eagle.
    Also notice the lak of shoulderpatches and armeagles.

So guys, shoot your opinions and knowledge please. Thanks.

Interesting SS uniform-insignia combination (period picture)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting SS uniform-insignia combination (period picture)
    P
    Many

I own that photograph.

They are members of the Allgemeine SS in early earth grey uniforms, clearly photographed during some kind of (para)military training/exercise. In another photograph of the same event, they are kitted out with helmets and rifles.

It's not a transitional photo; all of them would have worn the black service uniform for general A-SS duty, parades and walking-out. Earth- and later field grey uniforms were worn by A-SS personnel as field-/work-/service uniforms for specific kinds of duty; see:

Allgemeine SS uniforms with 2 shoulder boards?

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    I own that photograph.

They are members of the Allgemeine SS in early earth grey uniforms, clearly photographed during some kind of paramilitary training/exercise.

In another photograph of the same event, they are kitted out with helmets and rifles.

It's not a transitional photo; all of them would have worn the black service uniform for general A-SS duty, parades and walking-out. Earth- and later field grey uniforms were worn by A-SS personnel as field-/work-/service uniforms for specific kinds of duty; see:

Thanks for the reply.

Off course I didn't knew that you own the picture. So, I hope you are okay with it that I posted him.
    It is just for studying reason off course.

Quote by KRISSE View Post
    Off course I didn't knew that you own the picture. So, I hope you are okay with it that I posted him.
    Not to worry; it's alright.

I own that photograph.

They are members of the Allgemeine SS in early earth grey uniforms, clearly photographed during some kind of (para)military training/exercise. In another photograph of the same event, they are kitted out with helmets and rifles.

I recall Andreas offering this to us. It is a very fine and rare image.

We have lots of earth grey images here in different places. Our MM1985 and the famous James Toncar added some actual pieces from their collections of merit.
    The Mollo book cites Oswald Pohl to the effect that the SS was compelled by the army to abandon earth grey in the midst of the further militarization of the
    SS at arms and so forth. I just re-read the sentence in vol. VI of Mollo the other day.

- - ------- - -

Such images for the Allgemeine SS are more rare versus for the SSPB, SSVT etc.

"I guess that the picture must be taken rather early in a transitionperiod from black to grey uniform."

As Andreas notes, in a word: "no." The terms "early," "transitional period," and the notion of one uniform OR the other are problematic.Interesting SS uniform-insignia combination (period picture)

This document is from late 1934, which is: a.) early? ; b.) transitional? and c.) black or earth grey?

?

I own that photograph.

Love it!!

Alright, since they are surely of interest, here are the two other photographs I have:

Interesting SS uniform-insignia combination (period picture) Interesting SS uniform-insignia combination (period picture)

In the first photograph, note the leather-reinforced breeches worn by the man in the center, the black service cap worn by the man in the background and that the helmets are devoid of escutcheons or any other symbols.

From the insignia worn (1st model field cap badges, 2nd model service cap badges, no sleeve eagles), I would tentatively date the photographs ca. 1936.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast