Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Krawczyk & Lucas Waffen ss book

Article about: Just picked up from Amazon the SS book by Krawczyk & Lucas.I have seen some members talk about it and I am glad I picked it up.What say you members who have the book?The color photos are

?

Default Re: Krawczyk & Lucas Waffen ss book

A lot of fakes in that book. You bought it? I gave mine away on my big GHW2 book clearance last year when I whittled my library down. Not a good book IMO.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Quote by DougB View Post
    A lot of fakes in that book. You bought it? I gave mine away on my big GHW2 book clearance last year when I whittled my library down. Not a good book IMO.
    It seems all of you don't like the book at all.Some fakes are in all books of course and as Ade stated that's a sad part of it. I will bet that even the notables in this hobby will have some if they choose to publish a book!Are you saying that the book is mostly fakes or what specific other than the couple already replied to in my post?I don't know either one of these gentlemen,never dealt with them, but I note a real negative response towards them and have seen this getting to be more prevalent in this hobby!You all have your own opinion and that's fine with me as I asked for opinions, but to condemn the book like this is a little over the top.That you gave yours away well its was your book and you can do what you want with it!Some collectors at shows liked it and that was their opinion,just seems as its really getting belted around with not one merit about it!I have books when I first started collecting in 1969 and of course they were numerous errors and bad pieces in them,but this was really the infancy of our hobby and there was very little anyone knew that was fact or fiction! This is my opinion and like all of the members i am entitled to it as they are to there opinions.

?

Oh well whatever....still don't like the book and find it useless for serious collectors.

Quote by Magwa7 View Post
    Oh well whatever....still don't like the book and find it useless for serious collectors.
    I have to say it again.Thats your opinion and I have mine whatever!!I am a serious collector probably with many more years than you and I can see where this is going and I really will just let the damn post die because this will just go on and on with alot of posts and I said my piece and all of you have said yours!ENDO

Differences of opinion about issues, especially books on regalia, can be adjudicated here without the Punch and Judy show atmosphere as found on the Bianchi site.
    I would also note, as one who writes books for a living, that criticism is an easy thing for those innocent of the process and who can promiscuously tweet out or "shout out" [SIC] their opinion with no responsibility or even identity.
    I bought some egregiously fake caps from the Australian (K), which destroyed him in my eyes as an author. But he was only following in the foot steps of two ex U.S. Army officers /authors, one of whom still has a great following for reasons that mystify me.
    For a beginner with no idea about SS regalia, I can imagine that the book by this duo might have merit. The Swede ( v L) sold me a nice black uniform at a very low price. He disavowed the work of his chum with the fake caps, but what does any of it mean? The Australian had stalked me when I paid a large sum for a Pz cap on ebay when it had nice things in the beginning. He is and was obviously a crook.
    The best books on military uniforms are published in German by an Austrian firm. They set the standard, by which the books of the Swedish Australian/Slav duo are pretty average.
    All books have errors. My books have errors, too, some of which are embarrassing to be sure. Finding the errors and trumpeting them to the world without some recognition of the hard work that goes into authorship is poor form.
    Some internet savants make repeated errors and never take responsibility for them, which is also a sin in my book.
    The editorial process has much merit and is being discarded by the present epoch at peril for the future.
    Wim Saris' books are vastly superior because of decades of research. If Mr. D'Alquen would publish a book, it would be superior, too, granted his prodigious research. Mr. Tony Spandau here shows much promise, and I look forward to his book.
    Others who aspire to authority can either make or break their reputation with the printed word, and the discipline of real authorship versus the chaos of tweets without form.
    In the course of a forty year career, I have met many authors, some of whom are highly objectionable and yet write fine books.
    In my old age, I have more difficulty separating character from authorship.....
    To each his own.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 05-26-2013 at 10:41 PM.
    damit, basta.

?

I think Luckacs today is very experienced guy, we live- we learn
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Differences of opinion about issues, especially books on regalia, can be adjudicated here without the Punch and Judy show atmosphere as found on the Bianchi site.
    I would also note, as one who writes books for a living, that criticism is an easy thing for those innocent of the process and who can promiscuously tweet out or "shout out" [SIC] their opinion with no responsibility or even identity.
    I bought some egregiously fake caps from the Australian (K), which destroyed him in my eyes as an author. But he was only following in the foot steps of two ex U.S. Army officers /authors, one of whom still has a great following for reasons that mystify me.
    For a beginner with no idea about SS regalia, I can imagine that the book by this duo might have merit. The Swede ( v L) sold me a nice black uniform at a very low price. He disavowed the work of his chum with the fake caps, but what does any of it mean? The Australian had stalked me when I paid a large sum for a Pz cap on ebay when it had nice things in the beginning. He is and was obviously a crook.
    The best books on military uniforms are published in German by an Austrian firm. They set the standard, by which the books of the Swedish Australian/Slav duo are pretty average.
    All books have errors. My books have errors, too, some of which are embarrassing to be sure. Finding the errors and trumpeting them to the world without some recognition of the hard work that goes into authorship is poor form.
    Some internet savants make repeated errors and never take responsibility for them, which is also a sin in my book.
    The editorial process has much merit and is being discarded by the present epoch at peril for the future.
    Wim Saris' books are vastly superior because of decades of research. If Mr. D'Alquen would publish a book, it would be superior, too, granted his prodigious research.
    F-B;Frankly on this forum i really pay attention to your posts on a very difficult subject,the early SS black tunics and caps!You are a highly educated man and have manners when addressing a particular group or single individual.My point is that i have e-mailed Peter v.Lucas and he has knowledge and is a gentleman like yourself.To put the SS book down like these members did is no surprise to me as most of the negative posts were in my opinion from new collectors who don't know what they are looking at!!When they will put in the effort to publish anything worth while and see how there efforts are put down perhaps they will understand what they are doing!I stated in my final post on the book that before it gets into the area of post to post Punch and Judy as you put it i have ended any further talk on the subject!It at times seems that some members really like to post only negative thoughts.Bob Treend had a interesting post a few years about negative posts always from the 5% that go from forum to forum and he hit the nail squarely on the head.Good health to you as you make this forum quite interesting and your photos and your catalogs and early material on the early black SS are without equal!PS.The books by William Saris you mention above are as you stated excellent and i have read several from cover to cover in my library which started in 1969.A lack of manners in this day and age are what gets some of wondering who is the new bred of collectors!Well that's all i have to say and its a refreshing hobby when we have that with a member like you.Goodbuys

Good thought and i would hope that its one more post that all members will understand!

Thank you for the kind words. I am not at home in the 21st century. My life was formed by persons mostly from the late 19th century and the early 20th century. In the past few months, though, I wonder seriously if there is much point to all of this any more.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 05-27-2013 at 12:23 AM.
    damit, basta.

This firm in Europe, which also prints many works in English, sets the highest standard for such works on militaria.

Schiffer and others are not nearly as good.

Willkommen beim Verlag Militaria!
    damit, basta.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast