Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

KZ Dachau 1933

Article about: Thanks for the above. I was on temporary duty in Europe for two weeks and unable to respond to the above. I think there has been some misunderstanding here, which readers can reconcile in ca

Default Re: KZ Dachau 1933

If this guy could talk Bob,he coulld tell us all kinds of uniform details and dates.It came off the guards barracks door at dachau.
    Attached Images Attached Images KZ Dachau 1933 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KZ Dachau 1933
    P
    Many

[QUOTE=BenVK;31589]The more I delve into the archive the more shocked I am. Surely these images were never meant to have survived? [QUOTE]

Ben,

They were meant to survive - in the early days when these photos were taken, Dachau was the "model" camp, and every aspect of it's existance was to be documented, both in writing and film. There was a Master Plan to the Master Race. If you ever have a chance to visit the place, take the time - although it feels "sanitized" when you walk around (not really like you think such a camp might), it's amazing how much more of a broad perspective you gain about the place after you visit. The place and it's intent was very complicated, and you really begin to understand much better in person. At the time these pictures were taken, the camp's purpose was much different than you might think - these images display life in the camp at it's most early stage of existance. It certainly did evolve into much more over time, and that story is, in my opinion, very complicated as well, to say the least . . .

Another eerie thing about these pictures (and many others like them) - after you visit the place, you begin to recognize the locations in which some of the shots were taken. That makes the images even more outstanding . . .

Hope all is well with you in GB!

Brad

?

Very well Brad thanks, except for the value of the pound which has fallen through the floor. Good time to visit or buy from the UK though for you guys!

I understand what your saying about it being a "model" camp and well documented, I'm just surprised these images weren't some of the first to be destroyed at Himmlers direct request when the end was just around the corner, especially when you consider that the little shit was intent on escaping and not going down with the ship.

Yes Ben, I can see your point - I would imagine that with all the paper they had to burn, and with as many other troubles to deal with, these images being from the "older" files could have been at the bottom of the heap, and possibly never reached in time? We'll probably never know why some things survived, and others did not . . . but one thing is for sure, it's a great thing that they did survive for inquiring minds like us!

Maybe I'll have to look into coming over your way some time soon - I've always wanted to get a look inside a genuine English pub out in the countryside some day . . .

?

English pubs aren't what they used to be, but if you ever decide to pay us a visit, I promise to get you totaly bladdered!

Sounds scary, but you're on!

Arrow Re: KZ Dachau 1933

In the first pic is a guy with a strange hat on.He is on the far left and he is looking right at the picture taker.It looks like the top front is rounded and the bill is straight out.What do you guys think?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    The more I delve into the archive the more shocked I am. Surely these images were never meant to have survived?

Dachau 1938. Another visit by Himmler.
    Just why are you shocked? There doesn't seem to be anything particularly disturbing about any of those photo's. They are rather interesting.

?

Please read my posts again. I'm shocked or should I say rather surprised that these photos survived and were not destroyed.

Of course they are interesting, that's why I posted them.

?

Quote by jim arrasmith View Post
    In the first pic is a guy with a strange hat on.He is on the far left and he is looking right at the picture taker.It looks like the top front is rounded and the bill is straight out.What do you guys think?
    Not sure myself..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KZ Dachau 1933  

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast