Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LAH Untersturmfuhrer tunic and visor in Australian War Memorial

Article about: Someone could easily have bought a fake and replaced the original thus making a lot of money.

Default Re: LAH Untersturmfuhrer tunic and visor in Australian War Memorial

Someone could easily have bought a fake and replaced the original thus making a lot of money.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

The relevance of LAH to the Australian campaigns in WW2 briefly escaped me. Australian and New Zealand forces fought against LAH in Greece and notably against Meyer's battalion at Klissura Pass (the infamous hand grenade near the soldier's feet story). This probably explains the relevance if nothing else. Regards, Paul

I have an acquaintance who is a curator at a large museum here in Sydney. He said his museum and many others know the items they display are "representative" items and they may have the originals in their collections but not in a suitable condition for public display. These are archived and their 'doubles' put on display. ..... or a fill in piece is used to complete an ensemble..This applied to all museum pieces, not just military.

How many works of art have we admired - blissfully unaware that we were looking at a duplicate with the original safely tucked away in secure storage?
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

The Cap and in all probability, the tunic, are fake. My experience has been that the curators of the Canberra War Museum are blissfully ignorant of original items. A response that the original is too valuable or damaged to display is simply embarrassed bull-shit.

I was in Canberra last year to meet with the education minister and I saw that very same display and it didn't quite sit well for me. Not exactly sure why but there was just something about it...There are some pretty cool other things in that same room though, I believe this beauty is just opposite the tunic+cap display.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6984.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	485425

Some more pics of this and a link M35 SS pattern officers service dress tunic : Liebstandarte Adolf Hitler | Australian War Memorial
    I took these late last year at the museum
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02091.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	655687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02092.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	309.7 KB 
ID:	655688

the tunic seems to be interesting...the cap not realy...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12