Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Looking for info on early SS photo

Article about: Hello all. I'm new here. Could anyone tell me what time period this photo would of been taken based on the uniform and the rank of the SS soldier. Thanks very much!

Nonetheless, the uniform as seen here could also have been worn later, as well.
    I am not nearly as skilled with photos as some others in these and other spaces, by the way.

(I wrote this without having seen Wim Saris' wise intervention.)

Wim Saris is exactly the kind of learned person on this site who makes a signal contribution, and I thank him.

The person who posted the image might thank him, as well.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 04-24-2014 at 06:46 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Looking for info on early SS photo
    P
    Many

I suppose I could explain my reasoning here, which would be a worthwhile didactic exercise, but, instead, I will let one of our other readers with some experience do so.

Such an exercise might be useful for the capacity building of the beginning readership.

Looking for info on early SS photoLooking for info on early SS photoLooking for info on early SS photoHere is an image from 1936(left) , with a variety of old and newer items of uniform in wear. And one from 1933 (right), with the officer in western Berlin, whereby I note the longer skirt of the tunic. The picture on the right includes the system of rank badges phased out in the fall of 1934.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 04-24-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Looking for info on early SS photoLooking for info on early SS photoSurely one easy means of dating headwear is the use of the later cap badges, as you see in this early cap, ca. 1934, with the updated badges.

The leather shoulder strap is also prior to the established RZM SS strap. See the Clip and H style fitting.

Wow, what a response!!! Thank you everyone for your knowledgeable and quick responses!!!!!!

Quote by yarmouth View Post
    Wow, what a response!!! Thank you everyone for your knowledgeable and quick responses!!!!!!
    Thanks and good luck. If you can show us more and closer detail, we might tell you more.

Quote by yarmouth View Post
    If you look closely here, you will find more knowledge and information on black SS uniforms than exists elsewhere.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 04-24-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Looking for info on early SS photoSS insignia of this epoch is complicated.

The number and quality of replies are testament to the continuing willingness of collectors to share. However, it is worth remembering that cropped photos and images of such low quality are unlikely to generate much other than conjecture. As the cliché states: "quality in, quality out".
    d'Alquen

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast