Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My GrandFather German-SS... Prince Eugene/Handschaar Hatwear

Article about: What is the cap headwear for my GrandFather in the German-SS, Sturmann ? He was drafted into the German Waffen SS 7th Volunteer Mountain Division Prinz Eugen around 1940. I believe he was tr

Quote by Luftwaffe Hauptmann View Post
    You can get drafted into a volunteer division?
    When it came to the Ethnic German W-SS formations, the term volunteer- ["Freiwilligen"-] was pretty much meaningless rhetoric.

Quote by jhutfluss View Post
    My GrandFather was not a Muslim. He was Christian and I have read that the Regular German soldiers did not wear the Fez's.
    As Bob Coleman said: Basically, all members of the Handschar division (regardless of origin and/or faith) wore the Fez. A field grey version was worn on duty and a red one with parade- and walking out dress. Thus, the vast majority of photographs of Handschar personnel show them wearing a Fez.

German cadre officers also had the option to wear the mountain cap as part of their walking-out uniform and later on (as per an order of 30 July 1943) on duty as well (although they had already done so before that). For appropriate occasions, they also wore peaked service caps.

Period photographs prove that sidecaps were also worn by divisional personnel, including the Bosnians.

Plenty of photographs of the division can be found in this thread over on the AHF:

Axis History Forum • Some SS "Handschar" photo-infos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I wonder if the unit had teeny tiny kubelwagens to get around in?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0503270928581shriners_09.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	638876

My GrandFather is not wearing Handschaar collar tabs. They must be Prinz Eugene collar tabs ??????

Quote by jhutfluss View Post
    My GrandFather is not wearing Handschaar collar tabs. They must be Prinz Eugene collar tabs ??????
    Your grandfather is wearing runic SS tabs that were the same as many of the units of the Waffen SS.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I've read that Volksdeutsche members of Handschar division wore SS collars and non ethic German wore the simitar collar . I also thought that Volksdeutsche were permitted to wear standard SS headgear while non German had to wear the fez .

Ethnic Germans have been observed wearing either runic or Handschar tabs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12