Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

My head is spinning.. please help?! (Pic Heavy)

Article about: I picked up this coat from a garage sale for \\$2.00 because I thought it looked interesting. I really don't know much of anything about military history let alone the uniforms. I don't even k

mehl
    ?

Default My head is spinning.. please help?! (Pic Heavy)

I picked up this coat from a garage sale for $2.00 because I thought it looked interesting. I really don't know much of anything about military history let alone the uniforms.
    I don't even know if this jacket is german oriented. I was hoping you guys could help me and educate me about the coat itself and the badges/pins/ect.
    I have been reading some of the posts here and I see that some worry about the motive behind questions like I am asking. So I wanted to throw in this: I am 22, female, and an avid collector of "old stuff". I just think this jacket is very interesting and want to know more about it. I have been scouring the internet for any clue about this coat and I'm getting increasingly frustrated and confused.
    Thank you very much for any help given.
    (Pictures below)

2. # ADS

Default Re: My head is spinning.. please help?! (Pic Heavy)

I think it might be some uniform with added badges, some of which are Belgian and some of which are Spanish, i.e. the metal badge on the front. The jacket itself is A UK piece, as I do not think the US military used the term "battle dress" in 1952. The Belgian flag with the NATO compass does appear perhaps relevant, which makes me think it is a Belgian army uniform of the cold war era, but I do not really know. And Spain did not join NATO until 1982. The metal insignia is added on the breast, I think.

It is good that you are 22 years old, female and collect old stuff.

I am not 22 years old, I am also not female, but I do collect old stuff, especially old uniforms. I can see why such a thing does make your head spin.

PS I do not know the US patch, but maybe this person was Belgian augmentation to US troops in Belgium, if at all.

Or maybe the jacket is a US Ike jacket of the Korean war era with funny badges, but the Belgian NATO one fits to 1951....
    We had a similar experience with someone who makes theatrical costumes ask an innocent question.

Happy old clothes.

mehl
    ?

Yay, I'm so happy for a response. Thank you so much for the info you provided. At the very least, it gives me a good place to start to learn more about this.
    I, too, wondered if some of the badges were added. Everytime I looked up something individually, they would contradict the previous theory I had... if that makes sense.
    Anyway, thanks again for your time.

Hi Mehl

This jacket doesn't make sense. There are all kinds of insignia on it that don't fit the overall picture, the Belgian Nato patch for example.

On the otherhand the jacket and insignia are worth more then 2 $ so...

Greetz

Nick VR

mehl
    ?

I'm glad i'm not the only one who couldn't make sense of this jacket.
    I figured it was worth more then a couple bucks if not in coolness factor but in actual value. I honestly don't even know if this kind of stuff is worth a lot??

Hi Mehl, welcome to the forum. Nice to have another lady on board.

The jacket is actually Canadian made but they are based upon the British Battledress.

All the badges have been added to it and make no sence at all. But for $2 you could easily sell off the items as parts and make profit. But value would be about $2 a badge.

Cheers, Ade.