Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Nice Black Visor from Ebay!

Article about: Picked this one up from ebay recently. Unfortunately missing the eagle and there's a little bit of moth damage to the piping but a super cap nonetheless. The most noticeable thing about this

Default Re: Nice Black Visor from Ebay!

If I may cobble an image of colleague d'Alquen, here is another example of my silly theory about non matching cap badges.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nice Black Visor from Ebay!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nice Black Visor from Ebay!
    P
    Many

?

Nearly every black cap I pick up is a Wagner, it's almost a disappointment!

Hello FB, hope all is well. It's interesting that you mention the different combination of badges. On this cap, it's quite clear that it once had the earlier pattern eagle and then was updated to the later style. The ghosts of the 2 are quite evident, the later eagle having 3 prongs. Searching for these bits of alloy is so frustrating. I could have bought any number of zinc eagles recently but obviously, as you mention, they don't fit the timeframe of the cap at all.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Nearly every black cap I pick up is a Wagner, it's almost a disappointment!

Hello FB, hope all is well. It's interesting that you mention the different combination of badges. On this cap, it's quite clear that it once had the earlier pattern eagle and then was updated to the later style. The ghosts of the 2 are quite evident, the later eagle having 3 prongs. Searching for these bits of alloy is so frustrating. I could have bought any number of zinc eagles recently but obviously, as you mention, they don't fit the timeframe of the cap at all.
    Dear Friend, patience brings roses as they German say. The cap has its own history, its own patina, its own kind of poetry, really. We do it and the truth a disservice to wrench it back to 1937 or so. I am always looking for these cap badges, and never can find them, unless one wants to pay the price of what until quite recently was a perfect black enlisted cap itself complete in all details.

I think you want a Neusilber Hoheitszeichen, but then so does virtually every other SS collector on this planet.

In any case, this little irritation aside, you have a nice piece, and one of which you can be quite proud even in its slightly truncated from.

The Wagner bit is also perfectly fine, too. I think the no. German firms got compensating contracts because a lot of early SS headwear seems to have come from Bavaria, if my incomplete sample is any indication.

Happy headwear.

?

As a side note, the ebay seller was a young lady from America who had bought the cap in a house clearance sale. She explained to me that she had taken it to a gun show for advice and valuation. Evidentaly she was offered peanuts for it by some unscrupulous types but had the common sense not to sell and bring it home again and do some research into the subject herself. I think she was genuinely pleased to sell to a cap enthusiast and the packaging when she sent it was a work of art. A refreshing change.

Hi Ben, well done! Nice to see it has gone to a good home.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    As a side note, the ebay seller was a young lady from America who had bought the cap in a house clearance sale. She explained to me that she had taken it to a gun show for advice and valuation. Evidentaly she was offered peanuts for it by some unscrupulous types but had the common sense not to sell and bring it home again and do some research into the subject herself. I think she was genuinely pleased to sell to a cap enthusiast and the packaging when she sent it was a work of art. A refreshing change.
    Thank you for this necessary detail. Good for the seller and good for you, as well. Shame on the nitwits who think they can screw innocent people, as well. This little example of hands across the sea illustrates a positive aspect of this new medium, while I otherwise decry its effect on civility and decorum. Fairness and candor are better than the normal, cynical attempt to trick the naive and the un experienced.

?

WOW! go SS

Arfffff Ben !!!! you are lucky!!!!!! that cap on ebay is a miracle !!!!

ben is ebay king,oh well some guy just trust this ebay offers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast