Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Opinion on SS Panzer M42 Tunic

Article about: Thanks for understanding. Mario

Let me say this: whereas your grey NCO cap is plainly real, this kind of blouse resides in a zone of ambiguity which requires a much more acute, focused analysis.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinion on SS Panzer M42 Tunic
    P
    Many

Well said Larry and your points are quite accurate. If I may add though, this is still a forum, which is a place or medium where ideas and Views on a particular issue can be exchanged. If one is to purchase a item of this cost, it will serve him well to think twice before sending that amount of money purely based on opinions and or facts of others he doesn't know. It is also their own duty to learn and study the correct history, and should not blame others for what he lacks doing for himself. Forums will always have opinions. With that said, everything you said was dead on, and I commend you for saying it. Hope you don't take any of this the wrong way, I consider you a friend.

Note, I use the word opinion so that one will not buy an item of this expense purely based on my comment. We all can be wrong from time to time, and in regards to when such thing where put together, it can be even more difficult, especially through pictures. I still have a lot to learn, A Lot, and I still consider myself a novice collector in many regards, but whenever I do express my opinion, it will always be backed with facts which I have learned either from here or in books, and because of this, my assessment of items I comment on are usually accurate. I always try to add a photograph or written reference, too. Just wanting to explain my reasoning for using that word.

With respect,
    Cody S.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 08-10-2013 at 05:57 AM.

Study your passion......... Knowledge is power {Quote by Sir Francis Bacon}

In reading the other thread, though, I believe that Dimas knows his Waffen SS material, so I assign meaning to his assessment.

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    It is also their own duty to learn and study the correct history, and should not blame others for what he lacks doing for himself. Forums will always have opinions. Hope you don't take any of this the wrong way, I consider you a friend.
    None taken Cody..just a reminder sometimes we get so caught up in collecting and studying that we forget the most important people along with our teachers..and its ourselves!!...that we must chew slowly the material we absorb into our minds..as IMO we will never be able to cram it all in..but it is worth a good try to. The great part about study is we see something different everytime we look at a page in a book or the actual artifact in our hand..i wouldliken study to a multi faceted diamond,,,,there is that one "Glint" of light we never seen shine before.
    I apologize to the members here and North of 55 for derailing this thread..but for reasons only of study preservation Regards to all.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    None taken Cody..just a reminder sometimes we get so caught up in collecting and studying that we forget the most important people along with our teachers..and its ourselves!!...that we must chew slowly the material we absorb into our minds..as IMO we will never be able to cram it all in..but it is worth a good try to. The great part about study is we see something different everytime we look at a page in a book or the actual artifact in our hand..i wouldliken study to a multi faceted diamond,,,,there is that one "Glint" of light we never seen shine before.
    I apologize to the members here and North of 55 for derailing this thread..but for reasons only of study preservation Regards to all.
    As previously stated, I can not agree more with you Larry. The love, and yes, love, sometimes puts many of us in a rush. Or maybe it's just the younger generation. What do they say about us? I want what I want and I want it now, generation. I always try my hardest not to live up to this stereotype, but it can be a natural reaction due to modern times that I've grown up in. Thank you for your comment, it speaks much truth.

Add: I still think its quite important for everyone to do their own research and study, too. Relying on others is the ultimate easy way out.

Apologizes for the sidetrack. I hope we can return back to the discussion of the tunic, and I still feel the same way about it.

Last thing, he did, in fairness, ask for Opinions.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 08-10-2013 at 06:56 AM.

1. Is the base tunic original?
    yes,of course
    2. Are all the insignia by themselves original items.
    yes
    3. Are the insignia sewn to the tunic in a manor that would be deemed original?
    not convinced about the green choise, of course i think in a restored tunic.

?

Hi all. I'm the owner of this fine tunic and appreciate all of the opinions. Had I known Mario intended to post it here for review I would have pointed him to my original post as Bochmann did (many thanks Bochmann as I think the other thread clears up some of the questions in this one).

I agree with several members who pointed out the challenges associated with making buying decisions based on photos. Although these photos are quite good, there is no substitute for hands on inspection. That said, sometimes I've found instinct to be my best guide as well, although going on instinct means greater risk and you have to have the stomach for the risk that instinct demands.

I recall a partial Rohm, AND numbered SS dagger I posted a couple years ago that was ripped to shreds on a forum (not sure if it was this one). All but a few insisted it was a fake. In fairness the photos provided by the owner weren't great. Still, I negotiated a price that was worth the risk based on my instincts and purchased the dagger. When I received it I shot new photos and posted them in the same thread and everyone changed their minds unanimously. It was an original, and remains one if my prized pieces. To this day the very thought of having passed on such a fine, rare and original piece based on opinions makes me cringe. I'm glad, in the end, I made my own decision based on my instincts, rounded off by my own research. To me a forum is but a tool in my chest of many other tools...albeit a very important and powerful tool

But is digress...

Regarding this tunic it sounds like the primary question marks are whether or not the collar tabs were replaced, and whether or not the shoulder boards are original to the tunic. If you review the original thread, and read Dimas and Ade's comments in particular, you can clearly see that it is indeed possibly for the green boards to be present with the existing cuff title. Yes... this does still raise questions, but being that an old lady owned this tunic since the war (the whole story can be read in my original thread) I'm inclined to believe the boards are original. The tabs... anyone's guess. But I can tell you based on my hands on inspection (since I own it) I don't see any evidence of them having been replaced and I've compared to many variations of other tabs; how they're sewn, the type of thread, etc.

One thing I've learned, with SS tunics especially, you're rarely (if ever) going to get everyone to agree that the parts and pieces are all original to the piece. And with good reason. These are extremely rare, so finding one complete and all original these days is a concept that too many collectors can't come to terms with. I only buy from private parties, not other collectors, so the items in my collection are typically FIRST hand, not second, third, etc. it doesn't get much more pure than that.

Mario, I can completely appreciate your decision not to buy. Frankly I'm not sure I'm ready to sell I have several offers on the table right now and am struggling with the prospect of letting it go. It remains one of my most popular and prized tunics out of the dozens of others I have on display in my private collection. It'll only increase in value and as long as I'm happy with it that's all that matters to me anyway.

Thanks again everyone for your time and opinions regarding my tunic.

Dzyner

Dzyner,

Things are not to be judged good or bad merely because the public thinks so...........Its how you feel about your tunic and believe in it....... I was not trying discredit your tunic just seeking opinions, and then making my own decision.

Mario

?

Thanks Mario. You were right to post it here. There are a ton of very knowledgeable folks here who have a valid and credible opinion. I don't think my tunic was discredited here, or that you intended to so no worries.

Dzyner

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast