Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is this an original SS Tunic & Breeches?

Article about: My thing is Heer so I'm quite rusty when it comes to SS cloth. I've never seen this style tunic with pockets before, but then again I'm only going by what my books show me which is certainly

?

Default Is this an original SS Tunic & Breeches?

My thing is Heer so I'm quite rusty when it comes to SS cloth. I've never seen this style tunic with pockets before, but then again I'm only going by what my books show me which is certainly limited.

Any thoughts from the SS experts here as to what type of tunic this is, and whether or not it's authentic?

Thanks!
    Dzyner
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this an original SS Tunic & Breeches?   Is this an original SS Tunic & Breeches?  

Is this an original SS Tunic & Breeches?   Is this an original SS Tunic & Breeches?  

Is this an original SS Tunic & Breeches?   Is this an original SS Tunic & Breeches?  

Last edited by dzyner; 04-04-2010 at 12:45 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this an original SS Tunic & Breeches?
    P
    Many

?

Default re: Is this an original SS Tunic & Breeches?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'd love to get some feedback. I may be looking at this and several other cloth items tomorrow and just want some other opinions before I pull the trigger. The owner said this is an unissued tunic, with buttons on one of the pockets. I'm not sure exactly why the buttons were not sewn on, maybe that's normal with unissued tunics??

Thanks!!

Top to bottom fake.

Of course, authentic SS uniforms assuredly cost more than this fake.

Bob Hritz

?

Hey Bob, thanks for replying! Can you give me a little more of an idea what about this uniform set make it fake? I'm trying to learn what to look out for.

Also, did you see this tunic for sale somewhere? You mentioned that authentic SS uniforms cost more than this fake, but I didn't post the price. Just curious.

The cut, the wool, the colour are all wrong for an M44............and the eagles a fake

?

Thanks John. Good to know about the Eagle. My books only tell me/show me so much. Are all shoulder Eagles supposed to be constructed in the same fashion? If so, what is a good rule of thumb with the Eagles (i.e. what should I watch for)?

?

Dzyner -

Do please research prior posts on this site and buy the books (Hayes SS Uniforms, Hayes & Maguire Uniforms of the Third Reich, Beaver's 3-volume Uniforms of the Waffen SS, and others) before asking for help on these basic questions. You will learn much more than we could possibly offer on your post.

With respect (and by the way, the spelling is breeches) -

Frog

?

Hi Frog,

Isn't the basic idea of a forum to pool thoughts, ideas and opinions together for the benefit (and enjoyment) of everyone in the community? With respect, you may be an expert on SS tunics and uniforms, but not everyone is, which is why I (and many other forum members) enjoy posting on this forum; so we can learn from others and, in turn, share with others.

I do agree with you that books will, and do help. I own over a dozen just on German WWII tunics and headgear - and did indeed consult them about this set. However, books can only offer so much assistance since they are limited in scope and do not offer opinions and feedback when needed. Again, this is the beauty of a forum such as this one, with so many members experienced in so many different areas. If I post a question about a tunic, no matter how "basic" the question may be, I know there is a forum member out there, maybe even you, who has enough hands-on experience to tell me in an instant whether or not it's the real deal. That, my friend, is more than any book can offer as I'm sure you'll agree.

FYI - I do realize the correct spelling is "Breeches", but spell checker changed it automatically without me realizing. I edited the post, but it didn't save for whatever reason.

?

Hi Dzyner -

No offense intended, my friend.

My only point is that the answer to your question on this post is easily answered by reading the available literature on this subject, in this case the correct appearance of an M44 field service blouse.

Here, for example, is an image of the correct thing from Beaver, vol. 2, page 409. There are many similar available.

If you had seen these, you would perhaps not have asked for our input, which could never (collectively) approach what is avaiable publicly for your review.

I do not wish to be an a** here, but only wish to point out the importance of owning the books and doing the research.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this an original SS Tunic & Breeches?  

?

unfortunatly you cant just trust the books either. i own a copy of Hayes SS uniforms, insignia & accoutrements. on page 191 it shows a bronze close combat clasp. a right side up F&BL maker. a known fake. how hard could it have been to show a real one ? there are other known fakes in other books as well. i'm not saying books are useless or anything like that. and not everyone owns a book on a uniform that comes along. and i tend to agree with the spirit of collecting and sharing information. it's good for tunics like this to be posted so we can all learn a little. there are different levels of collectors. from beginner to advanced. if some one feels they are above the rest and dont want to answer questions, then they should just not comment. but there is no need to talk down to other collectors. you might be on the other side at some point. that comment is more for all collectors in general.
    andrew

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast