Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Otto Skorzeny Grouping Sold At Auction

Article about: A wonderful, original grouping of Otto Skorzeny material was sold today at auction by Mohawk Arms. I first saw this grouping, which was sold by his daughter, in 1970 at a Ohio Valley Militar

Default Otto Skorzeny Grouping Sold At Auction

A wonderful, original grouping of Otto Skorzeny material was sold today at auction by Mohawk Arms. I first saw this grouping, which was sold by his daughter, in 1970 at a Ohio Valley Military Collectors Society Show.
    The grouping included a gray open collar tunic, an officer's visor cap, an officer's belt and buckle, an engraved German Cross in Gold, his preliminary document for the Ritterkreuz, an officer's cap for the Vienna Studentenbund along with a leatter to Skorzeny referencing the cap, a presentation bronze eagle on marble pedistal given to Skorzeny frorn the Studentenbund for his rescue of Il Duce and numerous other documents.
    What I found amusing was an underground movement of disparity of these items is to be found on other forums. Numerous on line "experts" panned these items although they never examined them. As I mentioned, I had an opportunity to study these items 38 years ago. They were sold directly to a collector by
    Skorzeny's duaghter. She sold them only after Skorzeny suffered a stroke. I have since learned that other items exist in Austrian collections with the same provenance from Skorzeny' daughter. Even with the internet chatter on the collection, it sold for $66,000
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Otto Skorzeny Grouping Sold At Auction
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Otto Skorzeny Grouping Sold At Auction

Bob any photos of these pieces ?

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

The foregoing goes to show that the the span of control of the internet league of doubters is somewhat less than they purport on their various websites.

The drawing of Mussolini that the Duce gave to Skorzeny after Gran Sasso is still for sale in Vienna, if any one wants it to go with the uniforms and other regalia. It is a nice piece.

This little incident also highlights the fact that the credulous and easily cowed need to examine their internet sages with more skepticism.

Congratulations to the new owner and thanks to Bob C. for the useful G-2.

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

This thing of putting down other's things is not new! I was scolded for offering a GENUINE WAR TIME signature of Albert Speer, and other things, as well, on another forum. These people obviously did not know what they were talking about, but they certainly talked LOUD! I guess some people are jealous if you have something nice, or rare. Such a shame. That is why I like this forum. Not a bunch of pin-heads!

A photo can be seen here:

http://www.militaryrelics.com/photos/story.cfm?id=3492

I have saved an image here. Credit to Mohawk Arms.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Otto Skorzeny Grouping Sold At Auction  

Thanks for the price update and the providence on the items. I was drooling over that auction listing for awhile. It is correct that once a ball gets rolling on a controversial topic it can get out of hand quickly. I saw so much talk about this collection that my head was spinning. Some were even saying that they had 100% proof that the collection was all fake. This hobby can get a little wierd somtimes. The new owner now has one heck of a display plus some serious bragging rights. I hope he cares for the set for future generations.

I agree that in today's market, the price was reasonable. I believe the credibility of some of the newer experts was damaged by their unfounded statements. Don't make malicious statements. Bck it up with the proof you say you have. One thing I do remember was marveling at what a big head Skorzeny had.
    BOB

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Don't make malicious statements. back it up with the proof you say you have.
    Bob, I wish more people thought like that sometimes its just jealousy other times its "a little knowledge" which we all know can be dangerous
    Thanks

Quote by JMB View Post
    Bob, I wish more people thought like that sometimes its just jealousy other times its "a little knowledge" which we all know can be dangerous
    Thanks

John-
    Too many people want to become the ultimate source for knowledge. I have seen this is many fields of collecting. The newer collectors listen to the internet gurus as though they can never error. The new gurus take great umbrage when their opinion is questioned. In this case, there is no question that they did error big time. Frankly, I have no doubt that the grouping would have gone higher if the recent economic events had not occured. I was considering bidding but was unsure of being able to sell other items in my collection to cover the cost. A year ago, all would have different.
    BOB

Bob
    To be honest, a year ago, people were spending their money, with this crunch at the moment folks are hanging on to their pennies, but one thing i like about this forum, which sets it above any others, is the fact that its civil, and the people on here are genuine, and want to know. There seems to me, anyhow, that there are no hidden agendas involved.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast