Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

oxidation of bullion on collar tabs

Article about: Greetings. I often see SS collar tabs with both runes and standarte numbers with some degree of oxidation. I usually purchase such items in as good as possible condition but this one has cau

?

Quote by asterperious View Post
    basic conservation principles are easy to learn and follow, they can yield very satisfying results. Much has been learned since the 70's though F-B, not knowing exactly what your situation is - all I can remark is that you might reconsider the plastic bags over your jackets, they are not conducive to good protection. Unbleached cotton wraps are ideal, they keep dust off and reduce rubbing wear and accidental handling. The poly bags don't breathe, create nasty micro-climates and off gas a lot of things that like to react with free metallic ions. Periodic inspection of seams and pockets is recommended to ensure that dormant moth eggs have not reached optimal conditions and gestated. A handy pair of cotton gloves around when messing with metal stuff is not a bad practice either.

The Canadian Conservation Institute has many short and practical notes for free as PDF's that cover the vast majority of the concerns of collectors and curators. CCI Notes
    Good information, thank you. I recall reading that many museum conservation advisory panels suggested using powder-free nitrile gloves to handle items, especially paper and photos. I believe the cotton gloves were suspected to harbor chemicals from the sweat in our hands and could either snag frayed or loose pieces and further damage the item. The Canadian site is an excellent resource.

CMH

P.S. I like the "Archer" avatar.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement oxidation of bullion on collar tabs
    P
    Many

Quote by DrCMH View Post
    I have considered the proper museum display cabinets, complete with sequestered and fully controlable microclimate and lighting. The space required for this and the cost for the cabinets -a price more than the tunics run- makes it impractical for me. Perhaps outside of the So. California real estate market, but not here.

Your experience with museum conservation has, and will continue, to serve you and your collection well. We all profit from your experience and your guidance.

Regards,

CMH
    Sir, On seeing the wonderful and extensive collection in your care, something akin to a walk-in humidor (if you have ever purchased cigars) .... and set to de-humidify, would be fitting rather than individual cabinets. Regards, paul

?

Quote by backtothefront View Post
    Sir, On seeing the wonderful and extensive collection in your care, something akin to a walk-in humidor (if you have ever purchased cigars) .... and set to de-humidify, would be fitting rather than individual cabinets. Regards, paul
    Thank you Paul,

I hope to, one day, expand my collection to include more representative examples. I would also hope that I can gain enough knowledge to intelligently discuss this regalia and put it all correctly into context.

Regards,

CMH

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4