Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

paper visor w-ss visor?

Article about: I encountered recently a peaked cap with no insignia - but holes where a skull MIGHT have been and holes for some sort of broad-wing eagle. had black wool band, blue/gray-green body, white p

?

Default paper visor w-ss visor?

I encountered recently a peaked cap with no insignia - but holes where a skull MIGHT have been and holes for some sort of broad-wing eagle.

had black wool band, blue/gray-green body, white piping. no sweat shield. no maker mark quite thin non-ss chinstrap. not very good fitting (or shrunken) sw'band, made from some thick, synthetic leather I think, brown/orange in color. maybe there was a mark underneath but I didn't want to chance the thing coming apart since it was a bit dodgy conditionwise....

the visor was the most odd; seemed to be pressed cardboard with thin, paperish black coating which was lifting in places.

my impression from the bluish gray wool (should have taken it outside, I know) was - despite the very w-ss looking cap band - of postal or other civil organization.

sorry no pix. could this really be late-was waffen-SS or am I delusional? like where my brain said 'skull' could have been some other outfit's wreathy roundel? the price was very small in any case and shop owner didn't know what to call it....

do any of you? thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement paper visor w-ss visor?
    P
    Many

Default Re: paper visor w-ss visor?

Pressed paper visors were used on hats from the Imperial times through the Third Reich.

Bob Hritz

?

thanks bob - so it may have a chance??

Quote by Bob Hritz View Post
    Pressed paper visors were used on hats from the Imperial times through the Third Reich.

Bob Hritz

It sounds like it may be Stahlhelm. They wore a grey-blue hat, with white to gray piping, and a black wool band.

Bob Hritz

?

sounds right bob - the piping is more grayish which I'd thought was just dirty white.... possibly it's worth more than the $85 he wants for it - but then I'd have to find the badges!

many thanks, david

Quote by Bob Hritz View Post
    It sounds like it may be Stahlhelm. They wore a grey-blue hat, with white to gray piping, and a black wool band.

Bob Hritz