Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question on SS collar tabs

Article about: by DougB I will let you know when they arrive. Had a good chat with Martin today on them. If good they will go nice with my pink piped tabs I bought from Robert H years ago. Actually I didn'

Default Re: Question on SS collar tabs

+ 1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question on SS collar tabs
    P
    Many

it's been said already, but it can not be emphasized enough that there is a rather massive armamentarium one must work on in this area of collecting.

one can always pose the question, "is it real?" and get an answer here. and there is nothing wrong with that approach as it is what we are here for in part.

but one must study and handle originals as much as is possible in the area of SS cloth. to use a tired and overused cliche, it is a minefield and injury in it is costly.

i make no accusation of academic laziness or anything of that sort whatsoever. i merely point out that any collector considering this field of interest needs to take Adrian's words to heart and study the wonderful resource that this forum is and study what other materials are out there to achieve a competency that can only help protect ourselves.

just a comment.

as has been stated, these tabs are EXTREMELY rare. i was looking at these tabs myself yesterday or perhaps the day before and i can not be sure, but this pair may be the first i have seen for sale in some years. they would be an absolutely outstanding addition to any collection, but they would be prohibitively expensive for most.

Quote by tempelhof View Post
    it's been said already, but it can not be emphasized enough that there is a rather massive armamentarium one must work on in this area of collecting.

one can always pose the question, "is it real?" and get an answer here. and there is nothing wrong with that approach as it is what we are here for in part.

but one must study and handle originals as much as is possible in the area of SS cloth. to use a tired and overused cliche, it is a minefield and injury in it is costly.

i make no accusation of academic laziness or anything of that sort whatsoever. i merely point out that any collector considering this field of interest needs to take Adrian's words to heart and study the wonderful resource that this forum is and study what other materials are out there to achieve a competency that can only help protect ourselves.

just a comment.

as has been stated, these tabs are EXTREMELY rare. i was looking at these tabs myself yesterday or perhaps the day before and i can not be sure, but this pair may be the first i have seen for sale in some years. they would be an absolutely outstanding addition to any collection, but they would be prohibitively expensive for most.
    Well said.

keep in mind that learning this stuff is not as terribly difficult as one might think.

most fakes are easy to spot with a minimal knowledge base and decent powers of observation.

look at originals and learn to be very picky about the details (proportions, materials, quality of construction and embroidery) and you will find yourself covered with respect to being able to identify most of the fakes out there. do not study too broad an area within ss cloth but, rather, concentrate on one subset within in it such as collar tabs and move on when you're comfortable calling them. post your question and your observations. other members will correct, or add to your comments and you're on your way to saving yourself a boat load of money in the event you are alerted to a fake but, much more importantly, you will gain a small education from a single thread from which you will move on made better.

remember where we are lucky: these things were produced within the confines of VERY stringent controls as to quality, materials and proportion. were this not the case, our endeavor would be infinitely more difficult than it already is. fortunately, the fact is, there is a rigid standard. master it, and you are going to get somewhere.

?

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    Has anyone received any pricing on the ss aufklarungs set, I'm quite curious. Thanks
    £2150 including the photo album with 40 ss & panzer photo's

Are you sure? It's cheap!

?

I don't think this has been covered yet but are they actually original........?

I don't collect SS but even I know I have more chance of riding a Unicorn through the gates of Atlantis by Wednesday lunchtime than finding an original set of these colour piped tabs.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

They are now sold !

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I don't think this has been covered yet but are they actually original........?

I don't collect SS but even I know I have more chance of riding a Unicorn through the gates of Atlantis by Wednesday lunchtime than finding an original set of these colour piped tabs.
    I will let you know when they arrive. Had a good chat with Martin today on them. If good they will go nice with my pink piped tabs I bought from Robert H years ago.

Actually I didn't think they would be 10k. 3k (Canadian) is about right I figure.

?

Martin Stiles sources some very good items and they tend not to hang about very long but as others have said Clark even the Unterscharfuhrers tabs are £1200 so in this game you must be sure yourself that what you are buying is original , studying originals before buying is the way to go !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast