Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Social history of the SSTV, SSVT and Waffen SS in comparison with the German Army

Article about: Just back from central Europe, where I found this very fine title which addresses many questions raised on this forum by its more reflective members. This work of quantitative social history

Default Social history of the SSTV, SSVT and Waffen SS in comparison with the German Army

Just back from central Europe, where I found this very fine title which addresses many questions raised on this forum by its more reflective members. This work of quantitative social history is cutting edge and also contains a very intriguing account of the evolution of the SSTV in the years 1933 until 1939 and beyond as found no where else. I spent a couple of hours with the work and learned a great deal. It also has an up to date survey of all sound books on the SS, to boot.

The work is not for the faint of heart, mind you, but some of you actually still read books, even ones with footnotes. Imagine. At 56 Euros it is not a cheap book, but it is far less than a "scull" and much more rewarding for the insights contained about the social structure of the SS and its process of change over time.

Viel Leseglueck Social history of the SSTV, SSVT and Waffen SS  in comparison with the German Army

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Social history of the SSTV, SSVT and Waffen SS  in comparison with the German Army
    P
    Many

Default Re: Social history of the SSTV, SSVT and Waffen SS in comparison with the German Army

Ah, curse mein schreckliches Deutsch.

Default Re: Social history of the SSTV, SSVT and Waffen SS in comparison with the German Army

Thanks for the hint, sounds interesting.
    On a related subject, I can also recommend another German-language title, "Die Konzentrationslager-SS. Sozialstrukturelle Analysen und biographische Studien" by Karin Orth. (Unfortunately currently out of print, but it might show up somewhere as a second-hand copy.)

Thanks, in turn. I do believe I have seen this title by Orth cited in many places. The work I mention is noteworthy because of the SSTV piece, in addition to the huge statistical comparison with the army based on a selection of personnel files digitally rendered. Far beyond my skill as a historian, mind you, and very interesting to be sure. I do my best to keep up with the German language literature on the SS, but I fall short because of my other duties and roles.
    Happy 20th anniversary of German unity. I was there in front of the Reichstag at that moment, and I wonder what I did with the twenty years since...?

?

Is it very academic, and/or does it provide a "slice of life?" The English language materials have fallen miserably behind. Unless of course you like two hundred pages of glossy combat award photos.

The book I posted is a scholarly work. Those who read my posts here will recognize my odd weakness for this sort of thing. The English language "ripping yarns" or apologia adds little of value to someone seriously interested in the subject. I do like nice photographs, but this work I've included analyzes things that are often a theme here, but surely not in a way that the average collector can make much sense of it. The average collector here knows almost nothing of how Germany worked in the period, to say nothing of the inner structure of the SS and how its pieces operated....but I am beating a very dead horse. I have been posting on these sites for a decade and generalize from thousands and thousands of posts here and elsewhere.

If you want escalation dominance in the Nazi rag trade, learn as much German as you can and also read serious works of history about Nazi organizations. You will be very glad that you did. The second piece is the acquisition and maintenance of a professional library, an obsolete proposition in North America to be sure, but not so much elsewhere where our readers reside and struggle with the riddles of the past.

sapere aude.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 10-04-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Notice objects behind foetid woolens.Social history of the SSTV, SSVT and Waffen SS  in comparison with the German Army

PS the cap itself is in the Beaver Shea book, but it is the books behind the cap that are the issue here.