Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Some regalia in Berlin

Article about: Here is the overcoat for an Obersturmbannfuehrer of a Sudeten German Allgem. SS unit on display in the Deutsches Historisches Museum. This vitrine stands in the gallery with Nazi material, s

Default Some regalia in Berlin

Here is the overcoat for an Obersturmbannfuehrer of a Sudeten German Allgem. SS unit on display in the Deutsches Historisches Museum.

This vitrine stands in the gallery with Nazi material, some of which is quite impressive and interesting.

However, if this piece is the over the top black SS textile in the leading history museum in Berlin, then the US collectors have plainly cornered the field. Perhaps I am in error in this assessment. Nor do I wish to provoke a political debate here nor a polemical exchange about the virtues of collectors versus museums. My only interest is how rare or common is this material in its native land.

I did not take this image, but I did look at this vitrine in the last year. Maybe someone else has a better image. The steel helmet is a black one, and might have rare badges. I cannot discern its authenticity.

The DHM on the Linden in the old Zeughaus is an impressive museum of great interest. I can recall it in the GDR days when its exhibits and purpose were quite different. I first went there in the summer of 1983, in fact.
    Attached Images Attached Images Some regalia in Berlin 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Some regalia in Berlin
    P
    Many

Demien
    ?

Default Re: Some regalia in Berlin

I belive that US soldiers took all the best pices after the 2 WW so that US collectors coud fill up their collections, so it is quite hard for Berlin museum to present better pices !

I can tell you how filled up were Yugoslav museums, specialy museum in DRVAR ( in Drvar German troops ( SS paratroopers ) tried to cach Partizan commandant TITO ) had some really rare SS Paratroopers pieces, but they sold entire collection to some French collectors / dealers, right after the civil war was over !!!

D

?

looks like french cuffs, much like the stripped one I had.. hard to sell stripped.. nice!

This piece in Berlin was picco bello as concerns its features as near as I could see. The thing has all its insignia, &c. I could not examine it very much, granted it was on a display in a gallery. Bob Coleman has a nice officer's overcoat.

Friedrich, do you remember the number on the collar tab? Look like three digit like 122 or something like it.

Quote by Robert H View Post
    Friedrich, do you remember the number on the collar tab? Look like three digit like 122 or something like it.
    Dear Robert, it is was not 122, since that is Strassburg. It might have been 102, which is: Jaegerdorf, which I think is Sudeten. Next time you are in Berlin, go look at the thing. It is a nice piece. It also has a post 1937 Sturmband, that is the regimental number does NOT appear on the the cuff title, but the number of the Sturm, which I think is 10.

I take the liberty of posting Bob Coleman's black coat, which might already be here. Addendum Bob Coleman has posted this piece, but the picture here is a different, older one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some regalia in Berlin  

While I was in Bratislava last year, the Czech army museum had sent the Heydrich Attentat material to the Danube. This display contained many famous items, as well as the Heydrich 320 Mercedes, with the damage seen in many images. The display also contained a lot of SS regalia. There were several grey uniforms (none at all of the Heydrich's, it seemed...unlike the gory coat of Franz Ferdinand in the Arsenal in Wien) and a black uniform from Halle with an honor cuff title, too. I guess since Heydrich was from Halle, the black uniform was there amid the other pieces. I believe this material is normally in Praha, but my Slovak family wanted me to see this material. Maybe the Czechs were rubbing it into their cousins about Tiso and Meciar.

I also went to Mauthausen in 2005, I think, and there was no regalia there at all, save the camp itself, which is a pretty appalling place.

Happy collecting. FB

Addendum, I did not make any pictures in Bratislava/Pressburg/Poszony. The museum also had a nice exhibit on Beavers (cute animals in the water who make dams..) in Slovakia, which was not at all political.