Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Something odd about all these SS Feldmuetzen

Article about: Thanks to my colleagues for the RZM tag survey. The problem with all of this is really quite simple. Most people have never handled real material, and in this instance, a goodly chunk of rea

?

Default Re: Something odd about all these SS Feldmuetzen

Thanks indeed Bob. It's always very interesting to read about what you guys were collecting back in the days before I was even born. Do you still have the 3 caps that you kept?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Something odd about all these SS Feldmuetzen
    P
    Many

?

Something odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS Feldmuetzen
    National Emblem and Oilclotch RZM tag from "Odd Type" OS cap. Note heavy mechanical wear on tag and lack of corresponding wear on liner. This style makes me uncomfortable, but is well received by others.

Neither the Hoheitszeichen nor the tag send me, really.

Something odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenDecades ago as a young person one bought and sold this stuff without any real sense of the potential it has in the year 2012. It all existed on the margins, and was somewhat removed from childhood marbles, yo-yo's and other things of school life.
    It was found in stamp stores, gun shows, hock shops, garages of friends, and only became the focus of real attention when inflation kicked in the middle and later 1970s.
    The Manion's catalogs are a good measure of this process, since the early Manion catalogs, which I have included, had nice material.

?

Quote by Tricot View Post
    Something odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS Feldmuetzen
    National Emblem and Oilclotch RZM tag from "Odd Type" OS cap. Note heavy mechanical wear on tag and lack of corresponding wear on liner. This style makes me uncomfortable, but is well received by others.
    Thanks for this. The example you show, the tag (also shown in post #2) and the Hoheitszeichen are the exact same variations as attached to the cap shown in the authentication forum. Pics below. "Mechanical" wear is a very good description I feel because the wear is too uniform to ring true IMO. Compared with the example of the earlier white feldmuetze tag that I posted, the difference is quite obvious.

I have to say though that I'm now more confused than ever. I had doubts but I thought everyone else considered these particular examples as being totaly authentic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Something odd about all these SS Feldmuetzen   Something odd about all these SS Feldmuetzen  

?

I know that FB hates all this forensic analysis and I'm sorry my friend but it's the only method I know of to try and authenticate these things.

Here's another example that I'm none too keen on. What is a Tuchmuetze tag doing in this cap and why does it show wear when the RFSS tag is absolutely mint?
    Notice the same blurry white ink VA Stamp yet again.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Something odd about all these SS Feldmuetzen  

?

It's just occurred to me that I'm obviously wasting my time with this thread (150 plus have read it, less than 10 have responded) and as I have no interest in collecting one of these black feldmuetzen, someone else can make the effort for a change.

?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    It's just occurred to me that I'm obviously wasting my time with this thread (150 plus have read it, less than 10 have responded) and as I have no interest in collecting one of these black feldmuetzen, someone else can make the effort for a change.
    I've read this thread with great interest and have only refrained from responding because I'd only be only able to offer banal responses that wouldn't add to the discussion. I really enjoyed reading this thread and I don't think that you should feel your efforts are in vain just because not many people have responded. I thought of responding, but I would have felt like a high school freshman interrupting a group of professors because Schirmmützen are not my forte' and I've enjoyed simply reading the back and forth of men who know of which they speak. There's something very impressive about watching all that have responded go over the evidence carefully and come up with a thoughtful answer to the question at hand.

Something odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenFor myself, the only way to ascertain this issue really is a minute inspection. The fakes are only superficially like the originals when you have the thing in your hand.
    As Bob indicates, the originals were once more or less had, though never common, whereas the fakes are now everywhere.
    I would very much like to secure once more the kind of cap I owned in my 1981 picture with the many tags.
    The 1937 Tuchmuetze fuer SS (non runic SS) tag is widely faked, but a comparison of a fake of these with the real deal is a pretty easy thing, too.

?

Quote by BenVK View Post

Thank you for your efforts. They are not in vain and greatly appreciated. At least your information is now "institutionalized" and searchable.

Attached are images of a VA stamp and very modern looking overlock stitching on a cap's internal seam.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast