Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Allgemine early Nurnburg tunic

Article about: Not being a tunic collector specifically, I did want to include a black tunic in my collection but it had to be the one that yanked my chain. I was finally able to realize that goal when thi

Default SS Allgemine early Nurnburg tunic

Not being a tunic collector specifically, I did want to include a black tunic in my collection but it had to be the one that yanked my chain. I was finally able to realize that goal when this tunic became available last year from the well known Canadien dealer. It is an early pre RZM circa 1933-34 SCHARFÜHRER'S tunic from the 2nd Sturm, 1st Sturmbann stationed in Nurnburg. The collar tabs are the early white rayon piped version along with the white rayon chainstiched numbers. The armband shows some repair to the borders and there is some repair stiching to the tunic itself.
    All I need to complete this outfit is an early 1933-34 ear visor.

Oner begs to wonder what history the owner of this tunic saw while stationed around Nurnburg and the rallies therein. Was he just a spectator or involved in something more prominent during those years of growth and grandur.

Greg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Allgemine early Nurnburg tunic   SS Allgemine early Nurnburg tunic  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Allgemine early Nurnburg tunic
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS Allgemine early Nurnburg tunic

More...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Allgemine early Nurnburg tunic   SS Allgemine early Nurnburg tunic  

A wonderful piece we all admired on the Canadian site. It is especially difficult to find one of these tunics in its more original state of embellishments as yours. If a piece like this endured, then it was updated with new collar cord, insignia, &c. To say it is pre RZM is somewhat in error. The RZM existed when this tunic was tailored in 1933 or 1934. What did not exist was the law that required all bits of metal and textile to bear RZM markings, a law put forward in late-1934. Also, the standardization of clothing in the SS was also a function of the same period, and especially the rupture with the SA in the wake of the Roehm Putsch.

The tunic is from the 3 Standarte, plainly. Its HQ, Nuremberg.

In any case, yours is an exceptional tunic and you should be very proud of it, indeed. Thanks for posting it here.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 07-17-2008 at 01:04 PM.

The fact the thing was worn and repaired only enhances its value, in my view. One can also find pieces essentially devoid of wear, too, and each has their place. But I see much virtue in the reality of history.

The images in this post and that below are historical, i.e., I retained them while they flickered in the internet over the past 24 months. Here is an image of the kind of cap that might fit your needs. This item is from the collection of Peter Jenkins, and like your tunic, is devoid of RZM marks. It is a very nice piece. Notice the woolen cap cover as well as the leather peak (bill). Sadly, I believe that this appealing piece changed hands recently. Best wishes to its owner and we appreciate Mr. Jenkins' skill at finding such remarkable pieces.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Allgemine early Nurnburg tunic  
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 07-17-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Here is another piece of this kind. It was for sale in Sweden for a ton of money, i.e. Euros. It was also highly attractive and had its old badges, which is also extraordinary. It apparently came from an aristocratic family in northern central Europe. One finds these caps in a good state of preservation often with some link to social elites. This piece also has no RZM markings. I think it amazing that these early caps have somehow endured for seventy five years and more.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Allgemine early Nurnburg tunic  

Yes, these are amazing hats and would be a nice complement to the tunic. As always I will continue to search for the one that fits the whole. I had a chance to obtain one of these early models but alas, I did not have the specific tunic in hand so let the cap go to another collector.

Greg

Best of luck in your search. If you have such luck with the cuff titles, then I am sure the cap will also materialize. Thank you for letting us have a close look at the tunic.

THIS ONE HAS A WHITE TAG.I SEE NEW SKULLS AND NEW EAGLES WHEN I WATCH 1934 TRIUMPH OF THE WILL.MANY TIMES I HAVE WATCHED ALL OF IT.SO THEY WHERE OUT IN 1934.
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Allgemine early Nurnburg tunic  SS Allgemine early Nurnburg tunic 

Your cap is from about 1935 or 1936. I believe the transition unfolded from the melton-ish (smooth finish, fine wool) to the harder wearing, but no less elegant ribbed trikot in 1935 or so. The introduction of the rigid crown, with the cap spring is also around said time. The earlier caps had generally a soft, smaller unstructured cap cover and crown. In any case, this cap with the white tag is interesting...and, to be sure, the badges on Mr. Domian's uniform were out of regulation by 1935, but who knows what a statement like that really means? I am confident the regulations were not enforced with equal fervor. And, this Nuernberger man might have also joined the army, or something and this uniform was left behind somehow. Who knows?

The only matter is the uniform is authentic. Mr. Arrasmith's cap is nice, too. It is seldom one finds this particular white tag in a black cap.

Happy collecting to all souls.

PS What is widely regarded as the 1934 Totenkopf apparently emerged earlier in limited use. Triumph des Willens was made in September 1934 and released the next year. There was another, earlier Reichsparteitag film, as well for the 1933 event. There is also a kind of documentary of the era in You Tube for the 1937 meeting, if you look.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 07-18-2008 at 03:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast