Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung 244?

Article about: Hello fellow members, I have a pair of shoulder boards for an Untersturmführer (no rank pips, no cypher currently) that seems to have born the cyphers 2, 4 and 4 (in that order) in the past.

Default SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung 244?

Hello fellow members,

I have a pair of shoulder boards for an Untersturmführer (no rank pips, no cypher currently) that seems to have born the cyphers 2, 4 and 4 (in that order) in the past. Clearly the waffenfarbe is golden yellow which leads me to believe that it is cavalry/reconnaissance. Would any of you have a clue what kind of unit in the Waffen SS (the boards have a black underlay with rayon piping) would have had the number 244? I could not find anything so far. I will try to send some pictures of the boards tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for your ideas/hints.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung 244?
    P
    Many

Also any idea for a book (or books) with good overviews of the detailed organisations of the different SS divisions would be helpful.

Thanks!

?

Hi Phil,

I'm not aware of any Waffen SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung that would have been numbered 244 , as i'm sure you are aware the numbering just followed the actually Division numbering system.

Regards

paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks Paul, I thought as well that the numbering should follow the divisional numbering system which is why I was wondering. Here are a few pics of the shoulder boards. On 2 of them, one can see what I mean with the “2”, “4” and “4” cyphers. I also tend to believe that there have been two rank pips on each of the boards and that cyphers and pips have been removed for while because there is no really apparent hole on the black underlay.
    I hope this helps.
    SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung 244?SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung 244?SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung 244?SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung 244?SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung 244?SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung 244?SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung 244?SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung 244?SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung 244?SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung 244?SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung 244?[ATTACH]undefined[/ATTACH]
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung 244?   SS Aufklärungs-Abteilung 244?  

The boards are also magnetic as they are in most of the cases. If they are engineered that would be a relatively high quality to be honest...

Hey Phil, you've got better eye for detail to see three digits (or imagination - Lol) I've not noticed any SS field officer boards with anything more than division cypher number or letters, i.e. 2, 3 ALH, GD, etc. and since the basic German SS divisions only rose to the 38th I believe, the 244 wouldn't be sensible in this case. Any pips (1 for Obersturmfuhrer, 2 for Haupsturmfurer would show only one hole and of course be mounted length wise. I think the NCO's and possibly officers in the Heer would more commonly have three digits to note their battalion. Just my two cents. The book Waffen SS Uniforms & Insignia ( by Krawczyk & Lukacs) has a few details on shoulder boards.

Ron

Thanks everybody!

There is an outside chance this Officer may have been attached to a Wehrmacht regiment