Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

SS cap in Poland and its cousin

Article about: Here is the sort of ding an sich Danziger Totenkopf as interpreted by the SS in a pleasing model. Seldom seen in this state of preservation. What events did it witness at its birth?

Default SS cap in Poland and its cousin

This cap has appeared on the lord of the flies site in Poland. While the badges are likely replaced (Danziger badge is also kinda strange here), the cap is authentic and of early make. I am not here to endorse other peoples' items for sale, but when something interesting eventuates, then it has its place here, too. I have no commercial interest in this piece, other than I own a similar piece, which was also in the Hayes book at one point, too. SS cap in Poland and its cousinSS cap in Poland and its cousinSS cap in Poland and its cousinSS cap in Poland and its cousin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS cap in Poland and its cousin
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS cap in Poland and its cousin

Here is its cousin, far from Polska.SS cap in Poland and its cousinSS cap in Poland and its cousin

I do not have an image of its interior, but it is in the Hayes book with the "vorschriftsmaessig" logo with the runics, and it is made by the same firm with the same RZM tag of early type.
    The sweat band is affixed by hand and the forehead has a felt Einlage, as you see above, as a kind of Stirndrueckfrei thingy. Many early black SS caps have such a feature.

Go figure. Caps of later make lacked such details....

The 1934 Hoheitszeichen is maybe slightly over the top, but I have left it there, as well as the variation of the Danziger Totenkopf. The finish on the two badge is close to matching, as if that made a real difference to me. The cap here is in a very fine state of preservation.

These caps that end up in books I usually manage to sell before I realize that I owned them, but in this case, I kept the thing, as I did a couple of others.

?

These early caps seem so blue collar, working class. Same with the design of the insignia, very rough and "cartoonish." Soon the look changes to a more military and refined design. Indicative of an organization striving to be taken seriously.

I imagine these early pieces are quite rare.

They are rare, indeed.

Thumbs up Re: SS cap in Poland and its cousin

Yup
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS cap in Poland and its cousin  
    Last edited by Pascal BERNHARD; 12-30-2010 at 08:25 PM.

ww2fotos
    ?

The cap that Pascal just posted has an early style Eagle, with a later style Skull. Is that common?

Quote by ww2fotos View Post
    The cap that Pascal just posted has an early style Eagle, with a later style Skull. Is that common?
    .SS cap in Poland and its cousinSS cap in Poland and its cousinSS cap in Poland and its cousin

One can only generalize with difficulty. Most early caps got modernized, but some did not, or they were modernized partially. Many early caps still retain evidence of the earlier insignia on them, but the so called 1934 Totenschaedel was in reality a product of 1933, and the exception is to find caps unmodernized. But then who can always tell when the badges were affixed? There are surely ways, quite subtle. I cannot date the badges, unless they have a date themselves. I am sure that when the badges got shabby looking at the time, they were updated. But the SS cap had the reputation that it was used infrequently, i.e. the part timers only used the thing to drill a few times a year and thus some of these endured, somehow, to the present---a miracle.

I did not know that "yup" was an Alsatian word?

Quote by ww2fotos View Post
    Here with a pic of May the 1st 1934, obviously a M34 TK with 27/29 bird worn on this 2 black caps...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS cap in Poland and its cousin   SS cap in Poland and its cousin  

Last edited by Pascal BERNHARD; 12-30-2010 at 08:42 PM.

In the period until whatever point ca. 193X that the latter badge predominated, one sees the 1927/9 Hoheitszeichen with the latter badge. The real issue is how many authentic caps of this era remained untouched and now exist in collections. Not many as one can see from whatever tranche of existing material either is photographed in colored picture books or ends up on these sites.

I still think that we do not see a lot of material, which never makes it here, but exists all the same.

Who knows?SS cap in Poland and its cousinSS cap in Poland and its cousinSS cap in Poland and its cousinSS cap in Poland and its cousinSS cap in Poland and its cousinSS cap in Poland and its cousinSS cap in Poland and its cousinSS cap in Poland and its cousin

Considering how many tens of thousands of these caps originally existed and how few still exist and we can examine, generalizations are all pretty tentative as far as I can see. The Querschnitt upon which we generalize is very shaky.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast