Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a SS Charlemange tricolore??

Article about: I just found this item on a forum, and would like to buy it if it's the real deal. I had a quick check in some books, but can't find a match, but to me it seems like a French SS patch. I kno

Default Is this a SS Charlemange tricolore??

I just found this item on a forum, and would like to buy it if it's the real deal.
    I had a quick check in some books, but can't find a match, but to me it seems like a French SS patch. I know the photo's are a bit small (waiting for better ones) but for what you guys can see from these pics; does it stand a chance?
    Looks to me like SS Div Charlemange arm insignia, or am i wrong?
    The back has the black cloth, and the front has the silver piping. It's in a bit of a state, but if i could pick it up dead cheap should i go for it?
    Thanks for any input.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a SS Charlemange tricolore??   Is this a SS Charlemange tricolore??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a SS Charlemange tricolore??
    P
    Many

Default Re: Is this a SS Charlemange tricolore??

Still looking; it doesn't seem to be French or Dutch so far; the SS Charlemange shields had vertical lines, and the Dutch does have these diagonal stripes, but has the red one on top, and the blue one under.
    What could it be? It has the German period salty look to it....
    Maybe just a WH shield of some kind, bt still can't find a match. Have to be fast on this one too, 'cause it will be gone soon if i don't make my mind up!

Hello Feuerbach ,

I know EXACTLY what that is , and unfortunately - you would not want it .

I keep a small archive of reproductions for comparison purposes , and here it is on a sample cardboard . I bought this from a former dealer as examples of what kind of fakes were sold once ( I think he had it for over 20 years ) .
    The shield has baffled people before , but it's simply a fake shield that went completely wrong , with the Dutch colours turned upside down .. !
    The flag has 3 pieces of cloth sewn in , the bottom ( red ) one ribbed - exactly like the one shown . Costs to order were 1,80 Guilders at the time , appr. 80 Eurocents ..

Best regards , Winkelman .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a SS Charlemange tricolore??  

I would have said that it was a fake for sure because of the superfluous border to the badge but I still think that it's great that Winkelman nailed for you.

Well done that man!

Thanks Winklemann! I geuss that solves the mistery for good. The badge had me puzzeled the whole day, went through loads of books and searched on many sites, but couldn't find it anywhere. It looked kind of cool to me, but I only have these two pictures, and have not seen the badge in hand.
    The seller has it listed as a French ww1 badge, so he hasn't got a clue what it is either! I'll send him a message I'm no longer interested in it (won't tell him what it is).
    Thanks again for solving the mistery! Funny how the fakers managed to get the Dutch flag all wrong!