Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Collar Tabs, opinions

Article about: Good day, gentlemen! Today I bring to your attention a couple of SS collar tabs. The first one, bearing the SS runes, also has a RZM tag on the back. The second one is blank, a little bigger

CTN
    ?

Default SS Collar Tabs, opinions

Good day, gentlemen!

Today I bring to your attention a couple of SS collar tabs. The first one, bearing the SS runes, also has a RZM tag on the back. The second one is blank, a little bigger in size than the first and a bit more angled.

I would like to know if they are real and, if so, how much are they worth?

Also, I'm curious how much would a couple of real Oberfuhrer collar tabs cost?

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Collar Tabs, opinions   SS Collar Tabs, opinions  

SS Collar Tabs, opinions   SS Collar Tabs, opinions  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Collar Tabs, opinions
    P
    Many

CTN
    ?

The second tab.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Collar Tabs, opinions   SS Collar Tabs, opinions  

The first example has characteristics I like and dislike therefore I will reserve judgment and allows others to say. The second isn't one I'm familiar with but I'm less inclined to like it. What's really important is you teach me how to photograph in such a manner as this!! Well done.

CTN
    ?

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    What's really important is you teach me how to photograph in such a manner as this!! Well done.
    Macro photography isn't just a matter of skill, it is also a matter of using the right gear. If you're interested, PM me and I'll tell you more.

CBH
    ?

Please tell us all .

Bump.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 03-22-2014 at 04:55 PM.

I like the first one in It's construction. It's a not a "textbook" ( I hate that word), but seems to have all the charcteristics of a good one. Can you lift that tag a bit to see what is under without damaging something?
    The second one is a fake known by It's wirepiping, it should be a old copy from the 60's I think.

CTN I too like and dislike things about the first tab,I like the base material which on my screen looks like moleskin i like the paper tag.
    The fact the runes embroidered through the tab and are visable at the back can be found on some example.
    I don't like the second tab.
    Here is one i own with embroidered runes visable on the reverse,and early runes which are not concidered textbook.
    Cheers
    Dave.

CTN
    ?

Quote by CBH View Post
    Please tell us all .
    There is a number of ways you can do marco photography with a DSLR camera. I won't be covering consumer cameras since I don't use them but, with current technology, a tripod and patience, some acceptable results could probably pe produced.

One of the cheaper ways of doing it is by attaching close up lenses to your lens, essntially screwing a magnifying glass on top of the lens. Never used these either but I would recommend them to novices.

The best way is, of course, to use a macro lens but these are expensive as are most lenses. I don't own one so I'm using a different method. I use my tele lens on the camera and with a reduction ring I attach my wide angle lens to the tele lens, thus making them face each other. The wide angle lens acts as a magnifier in this case.

A tripod is a must since the depth of field is so shallow that even a milimeter of movement will ruin the photo. Place the object closely in front of the lens and move it back and forth until it comes into focus. Then fine tune the focus using the focus ring until you're satisfied. There probably won't be enough light so be prepared for long exposure times. Use a timed shutter release since the press of the button will shake the camera. 2 seconds timer should be enough.

This requires a lot of patience. Bottom line is, you have a DSLR, try some close up lenses. You have two lenses, buy a cheap reduction ring and thread them together. You have money to spend, buy a macro lens and a ring flash. Tripod is a must.

Quote by carlsson1982 View Post
    I like the first one in It's construction. It's a not a "textbook" ( I hate that word), but seems to have all the charcteristics of a good one. Can you lift that tag a bit to see what is under without damaging something?
    The second one is a fake known by It's wirepiping, it should be a old copy from the 60's I think.
    I'll try to lift the tag but what am I looking for?

SS Collar Tabs, opinionsSS Collar Tabs, opinionsLet me make two observations: there is not a textbook for SS insignia. Hand embroidered alu or silver wire insignia are, in a sense, each unique in small degrees. The 'textbook' is a shorthand for collector dogma.
    secondly, the smallish runes were or were not used by the LAH in its first years, i.e. 1933-193X.
    However, the tag on said item is from the epoch 1938 and after, whereby the early Leibstandarte insignia shown by Mr. Davies here
    is well of this earlier epoch. Perhaps said badge is just a standard set of runes from the moment when the SSVT unit distinctions were abandoned.
    While such items were somewhat standardized, especially early SS insignia were less standardized, as witnessed by the endless statements in the
    RZM circulars.
    The insignia of the epoch 1934-1938 or so have the cloth woven RZM SS tags.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast