Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

SS Dog Tag Can Someone Translate Please?

Article about: Hi guys,even my most pristine docs show some sign of wear. Maybe Bob can get some close up pics or scans so we get a better look. Stewy S

Default Re: SS Dog Tag Can Someone Translate Please?

Hi Guys, I have now reopened this thread. The only changes which have been made are the off topic Japanese items have been moved in order for clarity. I have had a busy day.

Now, more importantly, we need to be crystal clear on one thing. You all know I place great store on civil gentlemanly conduct here. Typing in bold capital letters is considered shouting in Internet conversations. Please do not do this. If you wish to make a point there is no need to resort to that and if you have too, well maybe that point is not worth making in the first place.

No one is under any obligation to post anything from their collection on the forum and they should never feel pressured to do so. If they wish to post something it is their choice to do so, or not, as the case may be.

If an item is posted on the forum it is only fair that comments can be made about them, regardless of whom the item/s belong to. I realise at times items are posted without comments necessarily being sought.

At times I am sure people read things that they don't always agree with. That is human nature and we cannot always agree about everything. Sometimes it is best to "agree to disagree".

If anyone has any concerns or comments please feel free to PM me.

Cheers, Ade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Dog Tag  Can Someone Translate Please?
    P
    Many

PHILBROWN
    ?

congratulations on your 5000 post ade, poinient in marking it with reinstating democrecy ,not censorship

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Guys, I have now reopened this thread. The only changes which have been made are the off topic Japanese items have been moved in order for clarity. I have had a busy day.

Now, more importantly, we need to be crystal clear on one thing. You all know I place great store on civil gentlemanly conduct here. Typing in bold capital letters is considered shouting in Internet conversations. Please do not do this. If you wish to make a point there is no need to resort to that and if you have too, well maybe that point is not worth making in the first place.

No one is under any obligation to post anything from their collection on the forum and they should never feel pressured to do so. If they wish to post something it is their choice to do so, or not, as the case may be.

If an item is posted on the forum it is only fair that comments can be made about them, regardless of whom the item/s belong to. I realise at times items are posted without comments necessarily being sought.

At times I am sure people read things that they don't always agree with. That is human nature and we cannot always agree about everything. Sometimes it is best to "agree to disagree".

If anyone has any concerns or comments please feel free to PM me.

Cheers, Ade.

Ahhhh, a voice of reason

Ade, I just want to publicly thank you for reinstating all of the deleted posts and reopening this thread, I know how much effort you put into this forum and how much time it takes out of your personal life, it is very much appreciated. Thank you

I won't say anymore than this, but I must say I was getting pretty worried with the censorship that happened, and I am heartened that common sense prevailed rather than nepotism.

Now back to the dog tags, and well done on your 5000 post Ade

Cheers,

Grant

Quote by Australian Guy View Post
    Ahhhh, a voice of reason

Ade, I just want to publicly thank you for reinstating all of the deleted posts and reopening this thread, I know how much effort you put into this forum and how much time it takes out of your personal life, it is very much appreciated. Thank you

I won't say anymore than this, but I must say I was getting pretty worried with the censorship that happened, and I am heartened that common sense prevailed rather than nepotism.

Now back to the dog tags, and well done on your 5000 post Ade

Cheers,

Grant

Gentlemen,

Firstly, i concur with everything that Grant has posted. In my mind it has not been rude or disrespectful in any way, but carefully thought through and honestly presented without any 'side' whatsoever.

For myself, in retrospect using 'Caps' can appear, as Ade has said, shouting. For my part, this was not my intent. I was trying to point out the pertinent points for my, and others opinions that were being brushed away with not a small amount of bluster.

When some members are villified for being rude and threatened with dire consequences for their opinions, it is worth looking at all the posts in their entirety, and not selectively. This can appear as censorship.

At the end of the day, all men here are equal, although some think they are more equal than others. Well, this is not the case at WRF as has been proven by the considered, and yes, brave decision of Ade to reinstate this thread.

This could not have been an easy call, but after reviewing all posts, the thread has been restored in it's unadulterated, original form. That alone speaks volumes for the opinions voiced on all sides. They all hold reasonable comment, as has been shown by the re-opening of the thread, and therefore, all should be considered equally.

Thanks Ade, and everyone else who has p.m'd with kind words, now let's move on together, for the greater good of this remarkable forum!

Absit Invidia, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Are we/the forum going to start a pinned thread on fake SS tags? It does seem that it will be worth while?

And well done on marking up 5000 posts, boy thats a lot

PHILBROWN
    ?

3000 of them are to tell me to stop telling jokes

Quote by PHILBROWN View Post
    3000 of them are to tell me to stop telling jokes
    Another 1500 to me as well Phil

A pinned thread would be a good idea John

Cheers,

Grant

Hi Guys, thank you for the comments. Running a forum can be a lot of fun but also a headache at times.

What with one thing and another, I never got chance to comment on the document shown in the thread. I do sleep occasionally! Personally, I think it is fine.

Right Guys, let's move on now and get started with building a database of SS dog tags. We can approach this one of two ways. Either a thread on fake tags or a thread on originals. Maybe we could do both? I think that keeping the two apart would be best for reasons of clarity. Sadly I don't have anything to contribute to this thread in way of photos. Dog tags are something I steer clear of. If someone wishes to start a new thread or threads that would be great.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Steve,

The left one with the neck string is from a Flak replacement unit.

The right hand one i can't make out the detail on it ?

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

The other four , top left I can’t read it, bottom left is a supply unit , top right is a Vetinary Kompanie and bottom right is a Luftwaffe Bridge building unit
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11